Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new to xj's

Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1996 4.0L
Default new to xj's

Hello all, I was hoping I could get a little help. I am new to Jeep's and XJ's and am trying to do some maintenance/deal with cooling issues on my XJ. I have a 92 cherokee with a 96 motor in it 4.0L motor. The Motor was put in my the previous owner. The engine runs way hot according to the gauge it normally sits in the 220-240 range. The previous owner told me he checked it with a infrared thermometer and everything showed about 20 degrees cooler than what the gauge showed. So I am doing the normal cherokee maintenance stuff, new water pump, new thermostat, new fan clutch, new electric fan. I was given a better radiator that i will put in it and flush the cooling system. Am I missing anything on this list?

Next question, since the motor is a 96 and the Cherokee is a 92 are the temperature sending units the same or do I need a 92 sending unit in the 96 motor.

Next. this Motor has a sending unit on the thermostat housing but what I am reading in the Haynes manual (i know they aren't great but its all i could find) i picked up says the sending unit is on the back left ( i assume drivers side of motor since i can see one there).

last question for now: I power washed the motor to make it a little nicer to work on and now i have a check engine light. I went through everything and i don't seem to have knocked a wire off. On 92 Jeeps what does the check engine light signal is wrong? This way I might have a way tracing out what wire is wet or loose.

Normally I am working on my '01 ford 7.3 diesel. I decided to get something that was a little cheaper to play with so hopefully i am not in too far over my head with this jeep.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM

On my 92, 4.0L I changed the valve cover gasket and started getting a check engine light. Used a code reader and it read code 24 which is a TPS. It ended up being the temp sensor which sends signal to the gauge. It sits on the driver side at the rear of the head, right next to the valve cover. I changed it and no longer got the check engine light but the engine temp does run a little higher now.
The sending unit on the thermostat housing is for the electric fan.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

92-96 use the same temp sender for the gauge, it's on the rear driver's side of the head.
Disconnect and dry out the sensor connectors under the hood and see what happens. The TPS on the throttle body can be destroyed by a high pressure blast of water.

You can read codes as follows:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jee...di-obdii-3341/
See 'obd1' key trick.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

edit double post
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 1996 4.0L
Default thanks

thanks for the replies. Letting everything dry did get rid of the check engine light. The next problems I ran into when reassembling everything:

1) I discovered the radiator didn't have any upper rubber isolators on it. Does anyone know of a source for these?
2) there is a small probably 1/8 inch vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to, what looks like, some type of assembly on the front (radiator side) of the fuel rail. The rubber boot on the fuel rail is dry rotted and needs replaced. What is this vacuum line called and where can I find a replacement?

Again thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djriley78
thanks for the replies. Letting everything dry did get rid of the check engine light. The next problems I ran into when reassembling everything:

1) I discovered the radiator didn't have any upper rubber isolators on it. Does anyone know of a source for these?
2) there is a small probably 1/8 inch vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to, what looks like, some type of assembly on the front (radiator side) of the fuel rail. The rubber boot on the fuel rail is dry rotted and needs replaced. What is this vacuum line called and where can I find a replacement?

Again thanks in advance
1) Scrapyard or dealer
2) That's the fuel pressure regulator, I've never looked for the rubber boot but it should be a regular parts store item.