Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New XJ

Hey y'all, so after about 6-7 months of searching for a new XJ I finally found one and purchased it yesterday. I bought a 2001 Limited with 139,000miles, NP231, 4.0L, and AW4. The Jeep looks like it was garage kept and is in great condition, it just has a few minor flaws that I need a little help with figuring out. The front speakers aren't working, but I'm 99% sure it's just a broken wire in the door jam which happens all the time. The rear windshield wiper doesn't work. I can spin it a full 360 with no resistance. I am thinking its the wiper motor, would this be correct?

Some of the problems I'm not quite sure about how to fix are the fact that it takes quite a while to crank over. The battery voltage reads at 14 when the Jeep is running so I don't think its the battery. Also the ABS light stays on constantly. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated
Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Any other things I should look for or change right off the bat?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My 2001 also has a abs light on mine needs the abs module repaired there are some places that can repair the module . I tried buying one from ebay but it was also bad . the front speaker wires were also broken at the doors I just replaced the wire that runs though the doors with a better speaker wire . just do all the services that it needs , for the long crank time I would look if the fuel pressure is holding and not bleeding down .
Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you have a 12 volt cordless drill battery make some jumper wires and connect it to the rear wiper motor and test to see if operates if not then replace it.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM

Year: 1992

Are the abs sensor properly adjusted light will come on if they are out of adjustment as in to far away from the tone ring. As for the long crank what condition are the cables and connectors in the battery can have proper voltage but if there is a bunch of resistance from the battery to starter that's no good also check plugs and wires standard stuff when u buy a used vehicle. I personally drop all fluids whenever I get a used vehicle so at least i know whats in there and levels are correct good luck
Old 09-12-2017, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

An ABS sensor could be dirty as well. Thats caused the light to come on for other vehicles. For the slow crank, check the starter. When they get covered in oil and dirt, theyll take a bit longer to turn the engine over. Ever done a voltage drop test while cranking the engine? And you may be right on the speaker wiring in the door jamb. Happens quite a bit. Dont cut the boot to get to them tho. Take the time to push the boot into the door from the outside. Its a tight fit, but doable. Disconnect the battery before you start tearing into it so you dont short anything.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Thank you for all the advise. I am goin to try to work on it over this upcoming week when I don't have class. Also going to be replacing the head on it because it has the 0331 and the Jeep overheated yesterday and exploded my lower radiator hose. Replaced both hoses, thermostat, thermostat gasket, put new coolant in, and changed the oil. Hopefully she will be okay for now.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

If the head is cracked and coolant is getting in the oil,
the contaminated oil can quickly ruin the crankshaft bearings
and you'll need a whole new block as well as a head.