Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Tansmission cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New Tansmission cooler lines

I am in the process of replacing all three cooler lines on my 97, as well as the fittings at the transmission. How tight should the new fittings be? Do i treat them like an oil filter and hand tighten until they seat plus 1/4 turn? Or just snug it up with a ratchet?

It is not in running condition at the moment so checking for leaks that way is out. I dont know when it will be road worthy, but i would like to finish the install now so i can cross it off the ever growing list of repairs.

Also, underneath the clip in the original fittings was a thin flat piece that broke. Were they a spacer or a secondary safety measure to hold the lines in place? Whatever they were, they have been destroyed. Needed, or no?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

They are in. Tightened them up snug. Getting there was less than fun, but they are in. The two large lines, atleast. The supply line had to be pulled a couple times as it refused to line up. It was not bent quite right at the fitting and needed a minor adjustment. Went right in after that. The return line was like butter. The smaller line up front is still sitting on the bench. I will save that for when the radiator goes back in.

Speaking of the radiator, i had started another post a while back about the bracket the fan shrouds clip into, asking if those brackets were universal on the plastic and aluminum radiators. I pulled a donor at the yard and it fit mine just fine, so they do appear to be universal. Either that or i just got lucky. Had to clearance a tiny section and remove an extra slot, but it fit. That bracket is held on by 4 bolts, two at each end. Atleast on the plastic and aluminum radiators. Not sure about the copper and brass. I test fit the radiator with that bracket in place and there is 1/16" of clearance between the inner fender and the elbow for the transmission line. Does that sound about right?

Last edited by fb97xj1; 10-05-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Good work!

The "maintenance" side of Jeeps is never as much fun as getting the kewl lights, bumpers, winches etc, but much more important.