Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New and need help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry New and need help!!!!!!

Hello all from Il. Im new on here and looking for headlight help. 2001 xj 2dr sport. I went through other threads and really didnt find anything. The problem all lights work in the front end but the drivers side low beam. I replaced the harness twice now orignal harness had fog lights 2 kinda new (aka) junk yard harness. When I installed last harness low beam worked for about an hour then nothing. Ive checked all connections,fuses,grounds ect. I got a new headlight switch not installed yet. everything Ive tested looked at show to be ok. The 2 new harnesses are not set up for fog lights and Im not running any. Any help would be great Im out of ideas and Its driving me crazy along with the cops pulling me over all the time. Sorry not meaning for this to be a novel but can supply more info if needed. Thanx for any help or ideas.

Last edited by tbox76; 06-25-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: new problem
Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Laredo and 1996 Sport
Engine: 4.0

CHeck this out. About to do this myself.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Maybe this will help, check all of your fuses (with a test light or meter)

Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

check the connector under the airbox in the left front these are known to corrode, pull the connector apart and inspect the terminals, If the terminals are good, check for power in the low beam wire at the headlight plug.
good luck
Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanx for the info all Ive checked the main connection already were my air box was at have a different air cleaner on it. Thats been taken apart and cleaned also sealed to keep it dry. Ive checked and tested every fuse with light and meter to play it safe and all checked out. Unless something just had a melt down or a fuse went cause now it is sitting at my wifes work and she said there are no lights in the front end now and we share the ride. which that happend last night. So looks like when I can get to it Ill have to start from scratch again. when I figure out the prob Ill post in case anyone else every has the same prob.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 PM

Got my ride back and now got a new problem Ive got no lights in front end headlights,parking, turn signals ect. Plus if I pull the headlight switch my dash lights go dim now. any chance it could just be the switch itself. before it would just blow the drivers side low beam and everything else worked and tested fine. ny ideas
Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Yes could be that switch. All circuits go through there. Could also be the turn signal arm