Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New (to me) 95 Jeep with some issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New (to me) 95 Jeep with some issues.

First off, This is my 1st post so I'll Squeeze in some introductions

I'm Will, Recently returned from Afghanistan via the US Army. While I was away my dad bought a ford so in return I got a semi-Free Jeep. I was told the the exhaust manifold was cracked (Last bolt next to the fire wall was loose causing the exhaust leak...) and the O2 sensor was fried so in return to buying and fixing that, I received a free beat up jeep.

However, being in the Army, I had some pay issues overseas so I'm playing catch up with finances and still working on my jeep when I can afford it (time and money)

I'm sort of learning as I go along about Jeeps (I'm a "Shade Tree Mechanic" worked at my grandfather's Auto shop from the age of 10 until I was 17)

Current Issues:
Timing feels/Sounds off (Advanced a few Degrees?) my NOX where high and it sounds like it is off....

AC Fan is shorting out (If i turn on the AC at all, it runs like a champ for 3 minutes or so and then abruptly the Jeep dies...)
-Planning on getting a junk yard one that dose not smell like burnt resin when I get a chance, or a bran-spanking new one if i get the cash

Driver's Side Front Door: the top hinge is free floating. It looks like it was welded at one point (Poorly at that) but since then broke free.
-planning on Re-welding it until i get a more permanent fix lined up.

Power Steering: leaks from the actual gear box (the one with the worm gear)
-Currently adding power steering Stop-Leak Fluid (Cant afford a new box at the moment)

Trans: leaks from what I suspect is a slight tear in the rear seal
-Currently adding Lucas Trans Stop Leak fluid due to lack of funding and time constraints....

So any Suggestions tips or tricks you guys/gals know? or even the "you got a crappy jeep comment".
Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Will;
Welcome back- and thanks for your service!

The timing isn't really adjustable, the PCM takes care of it. What symptoms lead you to believe it's off?

Does the motor stay running with the A/C on if you disconnect the fan? Burning plastic smell is a pretty good indicator it's shot, but it's odd that it kills the motor.

Door- yeah, weld it. This seems to happen a lot.

Power steering- you can buy a seal kit for the steering box, it's a medium-difficulty project. The Lucas PS stop leak is the best I've found in the meantime.

Transmission rear seal isn't too tough to change either.

Pretty short list of stuff to fix for a 'new' Jeep, lol. I'm sure you'll get it done!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 PM

And thank you for your support

Timing: ok so the reason i think the timing is off is it sounds like it is rough running. slight hesitation to accelerate (i'm pushing the gas, releasing and pushing again to get it to kick up... in addition to a few shifting issues...) i read on i believe jeep forums that it may be an Air sensor issue? there is a weird little sensor on the air box that could need cleaning? i cant remember the name of it off hand....

AC Blower Motor: now that i'm awake (coffee and a great night's sleep!) i mis-spoke earlier about the AC; its the blower motor not ac fan... but done a few experiments with the AC:

experiment 1 fan low/ 2 fan high) idle (cold start) turn on AC runs great then abruptly dies (power goes off, gages turn off and motor die at the same time)

experiment 3 fan low/ 4 fan high) run about for 10-15 minutes (normal running temps) turn on AC, same results as experiment 1/2

experiment 5 fan low/ 6 fan high) turn on heat, mimic experiment 1/2, same results

experiment 7 fan low/ 8 fan high) turn on heat, mimic experiment 3/4, same results

experiment 9 fan off, vent cold) runs a little bit longer but same results as experiment 1 & 2

experiment 10 Fan off, Vent heat) same results as experiment 9

Door:
the top hing is now sliding around so i have to lift the door to close it... welding it as soon as a friend of mine has a free day

Power Steering:
I'm currently using lucas PS stop leak, works great once it adheres to everything. I'll have to look into the lower seals for the power steering to see how much of a pain it is to re-seal it...

Transmission:
i know its easy to fix the rear seal, just a matter of getting the time and money...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Rough running, acceleration problems, shifting quirks- I'd take a look at the TPS (throttle position sensor). These are all symptoms of one that's gone bad. Mopar part is best, NAPA second choice, skip the cheapies.

So your engine and electrical die basically when you turn the blower on? Or does the A/C have to be on?
I'd take a look at the connector for the ignition switch for signs of overheating. It's a common failure and the blower might pull enough current to cause trouble.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM

@Radi: i thought that turning it to vent did not turn on the blower motor (am i mistaken?) but yes if i turn on the blower motor everything dies

I'll look into the TPS never thought to check it out (i found an old beat up one in the center console when i got it...)

and when i went to check out the distributor yesterday, i noticed another WTF thing... it appears as if there is a vibration sensor (still wired up) just hanging by fuse box in the engine compartment...

EDIT: It is also idling around 900 rpm... i have no idea what the normal idle range for a 95 4.0 is.... could that also be due to the possible TPS or is it a completely different issue (if outside the norm)

Last edited by Otep7734; 07-04-2013 at 01:29 PM.