Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New lights. Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default New lights. Wiring?

Hey so I picked up a pair of cheap baja lights to mount on my bumper as I see there is already pre-drilled holes to mount lights to. Im curious as if it is already wired for lights because ive got a "fog light" switch on my dash. But from quick gazing I didnt notice any which leads me to a bigger problem. I dont think I have anything to take the bumper off with...any home-made suggestions? It is on there real good and how easy is it to get back on?

Im picking up some nice halogens that I would like to mount to the rack - what would be the best place to run the wires from up top into the cab that make it not look like so much of a hack job? Im thinking of switching the ugly/annoying stock switches to just plain old toggle switches once I am all done.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

you can get behind the bumper from underneath the front end. its a bit tricky and annoying to get the nuts on but once you do all it is is tightening them down. since youre going to do toggle switches anyways you might as well do them now. mount the lights where you want them. ground them. next go from the switch to a ground. hook the lights into the switch, and then hook the power from the switch to the battery.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

there are only a total of 6 bolts that hold the bumper on its really easy
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

easy to do, I installed some this week.
you do have to fiddle around if you don't remove the bumper.
if you don't remove it, the hardest one is the driver's side, I had to and to get it on properly tight, get the ratchet extensions out and do not forget to take all your patience with you on that side
the pass. side is a breeze.
have fun
FRED
Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by JTotheFox
Hey so I picked up a pair of cheap baja lights to mount on my bumper as I see there is already pre-drilled holes to mount lights to. Im curious as if it is already wired for lights because ive got a "fog light" switch on my dash. But from quick gazing I didnt notice any which leads me to a bigger problem. I dont think I have anything to take the bumper off with...any home-made suggestions? It is on there real good and how easy is it to get back on?

Im picking up some nice halogens that I would like to mount to the rack - what would be the best place to run the wires from up top into the cab that make it not look like so much of a hack job? Im thinking of switching the ugly/annoying stock switches to just plain old toggle switches once I am all done.

Thanks!
As far as the bumper lights go, even if you have stock wiring i would still just run new wiring and toggle, i know on all the units ive done if hooked on through the stock wiring, the lights shut off when the brights are applied...which anyway you use them on or off road, i personally find to be annoying, and if you do run new wiring i HIGHLY suggest using a 30A relay in the harness you make, keeps the wiring cooler, and the lights are a lot brighter..

The roof lights have a writeup or a thread on here somewhere, do a search for it, or if i come across it ill post it up
Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

I have the same lights on mine,I used the factory wireing just had to change the light ends.Its nice if you leave them on when you turn off the key they go off ,they also go on and off with the low beams.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 AM

hey i was wondering if these baja lights are worth it i was going to pick up a set but i was on sure if they are worth the money.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1996xj
hey i was wondering if these baja lights are worth it i was going to pick up a set but i was on sure if they are worth the money.
If they are the ones from Walmart then they are . I have 2 sets on my XJ. They work great. How to install is easy, here you go . Remove the ds rail going from front to back and drill a hole where the rail will cover it. Run your wireing through it and down the pillar in the cab into your fuse box. Put silicone in the hole to seal it and put rail back on. Leave enough wire hanging out of the roof to work with.Put a 2x4 under the rack so you dont overdrill into your roof. Drill holes and mount the lights. Put wire loom on and ziptie it for good looks. Hook up the switch and your good to go.Adjust your lights and have fun. I would go with 2 sets because I did 1 set and myXJ looked like Mickey Mouse. Looks alot better with 2 sets.