Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to lifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New to lifting

I have a few questions, and I figured that this is the best place to look.

First time cherokee owner, second time jeep owner.

I'm looking to lift my jeep and I have questions. I own a 97 Cherokee sport and I was thinking of putting a 3in lift on it. I'd like to know how big of a tire I can put on them, I was thinking about 30-32? But I dont want to cut away anything. I also like to know what would be a good type of lift, I'll be mainly using this on the road for school and work but during the summer I head up to Canada and do some mountain driving with my family. I also would like to know how hard is it to install the 3in lift because when I called the shop around were I live (mumblys) they said I'll have to buy something for my steering and one other thing that I can't think off the top of my head. But they also said they'll get me all the parts and install it for around $1000, is that a good deal?

Thank you for the input
Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Seems a little bit pricey to me but I guess it would depend on what type of lift and whether or not your mechanically inclined enough to do it your self and HAVE to pay someone else to install it.A Rustys 3'' aal lift is about 265.00 with shocks so yeah a 1000 would be nuts to me.But like i say depends on lift their are far more expensive/better mabey kits out there.Oh and this is the part where someone will say dont buy a Rustys lift.I was just putting that out there for price comparison.Oh and 31s would work fine with 3''
Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

3" aal would be fine if you don't have much sag in you stock leafs, though it is a bit stiffer than full packs. Full packs are the way to go if u want a smoother ride and
Old 01-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by xjdirtbath
3" aal would be fine if you don't have much sag in you stock leafs, though it is a bit stiffer than full packs. Full packs are the way to go if u want a smoother ride and
Sorry hit send by accident and cannot edit on my phone...

As I was saying full packs are the way to go if u want a smoother ride and correct rear hight. 3 " and 31" tires were made for eachother! You should not have to change any steering components. You may have to replace your front sway bar links with longer ones. If you have any driveline vibrations after the lift you will want to install a transfer case drop or the best though expensive fix would be a sye. It may not be necissary though, some need this and some don't. Mine did not. 1000 dollars is a lot of money for an install it is fairly simple to due yourself and this site is a great resorce for help. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by xjdirtbath

Sorry hit send by accident and cannot edit on my phone...

As I was saying full packs are the way to go if u want a smoother ride and correct rear hight. 3 " and 31" tires were made for eachother! You should not have to change any steering components. You may have to replace your front sway bar links with longer ones. If you have any driveline vibrations after the lift you will want to install a transfer case drop or the best though expensive fix would be a sye. It may not be necissary though, some need this and some don't. Mine did not. 1000 dollars is a lot of money for an install it is fairly simple to due yourself and this site is a great resorce for help. Good luck!
Thank you for the help, the place that said they'll install it said it would be 300ish for the lift and around 200-300 for the other parts then the installation of all of the parts would be 300-400. I am ok when it comes to mechanics on cars but I don't really have any power tools and I don't know what I would need. But thank you both for the input
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

yer gunna need a body lift
Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

my first jeep i had to pay to get the lift put in and it cost me $600 and that was the cheapest i could find. i would strongly reccomend getting full rear leafs and not an aal kit for you will sag its just a matter of time. i would suggest RC or Rustys for lift both very good brands and not very expensive. although if you have tools and a garage installing it yourself shouldnt be too hard im gonna be installing my 6.5" long arm kit by summer and it will be the first lift iv ever put in myself. i would say try it yourself and if worse comes to worse and you somehow mess something up you can then always send it to a mechanic to finish for the same or less since you already started it. but try and save the money and learn something new.