Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new or jy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new or jy

my rear leafs have settled to about flat. annoying. do i wanna go jy and pull off some leafs from a ford or suck it up and get some new leaf packs. i have a 2" BB and i would either remove the lowering bracket in the rear, or keep it and just add the extra leafs. id rather hit the jy for a coupla reasons; its allot cheaper to go jy, and its also cheaper to get a whole sus. upgrade it once. id really like a 4.5" LA, but you know, beggars, and choosers and all... besides a rear locker is almost more tempting that all the rest. thoughts?
doing some looking around... didnt realize how cheap leafs are... any thoughts on these:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...gory_Code=LEAF

Last edited by VTJeep; 03-21-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the JY bastard pack route? Could get you some lift and non-sagging springs.

You seem competent enough to pull it off. s10 springs are what they use I believe. Just google for more info.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

right, the bastard pack. now, to make sure my terminology is correctumundo, the bastard pack is just the leafs from a doner vehicle, right? generally just chopping the rear eyelets off (if still on doner) and pulling the needed sections of leaf is all thats needed? as far as the overall set up in the rear, id prefer to keep the brackets, and put enough new leaf to get the rear slightly taller that the front. i know there will eventually be some more sag in the new leafs, so id want to compensate now. plus the raked angle looks kinda BA i just gotta do a thread search, i know there are some write ups.. any info is helpful so feel free to throw some at me!

Last edited by VTJeep; 03-21-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you've pretty much got the idea.

Use at least the stock main xj spring (for obvious reasons) and cut the donor. Basically mix and match. the xj and s10 leaf pins align.

Seems like trial and error but doesn't seem tough
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

awesome-o. thanks.