Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Here/What Do You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default New Here/What Do You Think?

So I'm new here, and I recently got my XJ. It's a 98, white, auto, with 74xxx miles on it. There's a little cosmetic work that may need to be done up front, looks like the previous owner bumped something (or someone!). Also it seems to ride just a tad lower than usual. I took a bunch of pics so I'll let you guys see.

Here are a few things I'm looking to do:
- Fix that crack
- Bumper
- Roof Rack
- Lights (I've noticed XJ low beams are REALLY low...)
- Maybe a lift somewhere down the line?

Money isn't exactly falling from the sky (is it ever?), but I do have access to a pretty good shop. It's not specifically an auto shop. It's actually my barn with a boat load of tools.

Also, I've never really had the opportunity to get my hands dirty into vehicles. Would anyone know somewhere to learn more about what I'm doing? I'm a senior in high school, and would love to know my way around a car more.
Attached Thumbnails New Here/What Do You Think?-100_2562.jpg   New Here/What Do You Think?-100_2564.jpg   New Here/What Do You Think?-100_2566.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

well first off welcome and congrats on your new purchase! looks like its a good start.

first id fix the crack and bedliner below the trim lines, go through and do a full tune (wires,cap,oil, filter, all that good stuff, and maybe seafoam your intake, gas and oil) and look into either sylvania silverstars for headlights or some halogen upgrades, these are what i have and love em.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_120.htm
and look at roughcountry.com for a lift, can beat there prices for what you get.
as far as bumpers there are so many out there you just have to look, or make your own. same on roof racks, although im looking at JCR for my roof rack....
http://www.jcroffroad.com/index.html
and your in the perfect place to learn anything and everything about jeeps, just learn how to search.
id also try to pickup a chiltons or Haynes manual for it, like 20 bucks at autozone

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hi and welcome to CF from Tj in NJ. Looks like a clean XJ... good luck with it. Looks like stock height to me (not low) you can do some searches on this site for just about anything you need to find. I would fix the list of things you have to do first then add a lift kit (3 inch is least expensive unless you go for a BB 2 inch) You can also change the headlights to H4 housings and bulbs for better lighting. There are ENDLESS ways to spend money on an XJ...Good Luck...Tj
Some Links.
http://www.quadratec.com/default_cherokee.php
http://www.roughcountry.com/
http://www.4wd.com/
Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM

Here's some pictures of the leaf springs that I took last summer when I was first talking to the guy about buying it. (Didn't want to sell it til he got a new vehicle) He said they're a little low. Not knowing to much, I wouldn't know. What'dya think?

Sorry they're not to hot. I may try to get some better pictures later.
Attached Images   
Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

looks like the rear end is sagging jus a lil, maybe previous owner towed a trailer or boat. typical for the stock springs though. i wouldnt worry about it till you lift it and jus get a new spring pack for the rear.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM

So would you say def. go with a new pack, or do you think I could get away with an AAL for my wallet's sake? Once summer hits I can go back to work, but I'd still like to keep the $ down
Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

yea get a full pack when u lift. aal wont help there
Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EMTXJ98
So would you say def. go with a new pack, or do you think I could get away with an AAL for my wallet's sake? Once summer hits I can go back to work, but I'd still like to keep the $ down
you could get away with AAl but they end up sagging out anyway so its up to you. i have AAL on my 98 that are about 3 yrs old and there sagging already so im puttin a RC lift with spring packs on it. if cash is really a big issue and you dont want to get the full leaf pack you could try putting together a bastard pack out of the JY for cheap, there are plenty of threads on bastard packs....
it just depends on what you want out of it. AAL will bring up the rear but with the stock springs sagging already it wont last for long....just my opinion but if i were you id jus get this...
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html
with the new spring pack....
its only $600 and you get a 10% discount for being a forum member
i gotta look but theres a member that works at morris 4x4 that can get you an even better deal from rough country....
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Nice find on your XJ! As far as those springs, they're done, your going to want to replace them with either a lift or search around for some take offs, an add a leaf will be wasted money down the road. You've already done the first step in learning your way around wrenching on a vehicle, your new Jeep is like a lady, they love constant attention, LOL! Like a previous poster stated, get yourself a repair manual (Chiltons, Haynes or Jeep factory) used off of E-bay, much cheaper than new. Do your homework searching this forum and ask questions when you need to, you'll be a wrenching fool in no time! I'm posting a couple pics of Miss moneypenny before and after just because when I saw your Jeep it reminded me of where I started.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Desert Rat; 02-26-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM

What would the ultimate difference be between these two?
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

Just that the one has control arms?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by tannerp89
well first off welcome and congrats on your new purchase! looks like its a good start.

first id fix the crack and bedliner below the trim lines, go through and do a full tune (wires,cap,oil, filter, all that good stuff, and maybe seafoam your intake, gas and oil) and look into either sylvania silverstars for headlights or some halogen upgrades, these are what i have and love em.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_120.htm
and look at roughcountry.com for a lift, can beat there prices for what you get.
as far as bumpers there are so many out there you just have to look, or make your own. same on roof racks, although im looking at JCR for my roof rack....
http://www.jcroffroad.com/index.html
and your in the perfect place to learn anything and everything about jeeps, just learn how to search.
id also try to pickup a chiltons or Haynes manual for it, like 20 bucks at autozone

Good Luck!
How would one go about fixing that crack? It would seem like maybe I'd just have to replace the whole front end cap there? I dunno
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

welcome bro from ohio
Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You could pull it off and try to fix it with some fiberglass filler, but then you still have to match the paint. Might be easier to find a new one.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM

sounds good. I may be going to a pull and pay later :-D
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default Header panel

Ebay usually has several header panels at a reasonable price. Little primer and white paint and should look new.