Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Front BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Stright 6
Default New Front BRAKES

Planning on changing my pads, rotors and flushing the system on my 1999 XJ Limited. Reading online it appears there may be two styles of rotors of the 1999, is there a quick look I can do to determine what one I need?

Besides the above what else should I consider doing while I am working in this area?

Last edited by NCDON; 04-07-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Check the condition of the rubber lines. Look for any "ballooning" or any splits in the outer covering.

Probably should at least check the rears while you're working.

Rodger
Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

what has everyone found to be the best pads/rotors, shoes?
I am in need of new brakes too
Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71
I just run gold level pads from AA along with basic rotors. I upgraded my rear to disk brakes so I run the same back there. It's a huge help to stop those 35s I'm running.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:43 PM

either take the rotors off and take them to the store for a match up or buy both kinds and return the set you dont use. thats what i did with my rear drums. got the lifetime napa brake shoes and the spring kits for both sides and put new cylinders on it too. was not all that expensive. wont need to mess with them for a good while. my front discs have a few good years left on them. when it is time, will do the same.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by RRXJeeper71

That word 'best' when it comes to brakes can mean many things. You could go broke real quick buying elite brake setups for an XJ, but the stock front brakes seem to be just fine. Bigger wheels would prefer bigger brakes, but these things are not meant for speed.

The best I found for regular driving were $35 for rotors and like $20 for pads at AZ in AZ. For my Supras, the equivalent cost 3x that and they were very similar in quality. I am so grateful that the Jeep parts are so (comparatively) cheap, cus we seem to need a lot of them...
Old 04-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Everything you need to know is in this thread, including how to tell if you have cast or composite rotors:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...9/#post3146337

Enjoy.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I just hauled in a rotor after they gave me the wrong one on my '99. MUCH easier to lay it on counter and say "I need two of these.".
Old 04-10-2015, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

I recently did rotors and pads on my 99. I went with ebc yellows and there dimpled slotted rotors. Dusty as all get out but will beat the bump stops when you brake hard.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by NCDON
changing my pads, rotors
You do know it's common to have your rotors turned, instead of chucking them? If they are worn beyond tolerance, they won't turn them. Used to be pretty cheap, but I think it's still 10-$12. N Cal Don here!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
You do know it's common to have your rotors turned, instead of chucking them? If they are worn beyond tolerance, they won't turn them. Used to be pretty cheap, but I think it's still 10-$12. N Cal Don here!
I don't know if it will be an issue on an XJ but every car I ever had the rotors turned on ended up having warped rotors a few thousand miles later (turning makes them thinner and more prone to warping/cracking). It depends on the shop, but most places I've seen charge around $20 ea. to turn the rotors and since new XJ rotors only run around $30 ea. so it really isn't worth the savings to risk that they will warp after being turned and you'll end up buying new rotors anyhow.

If your rotors are in good shape you may just be able to throw a new set of pads on and leave the rotors alone (that's what I did with mine a few years ago and I haven't had any issues).

Last edited by dmill89; 04-10-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by dmill89
I don't know if it will be an issue on an XJ but every car I ever had the rotors turned on ended up having warped rotors a few thousand miles later (turning makes them thinner and more prone to warping/cracking). It depends on the shop, but most places I've seen charge around $20 ea. to turn the rotors and since new XJ rotors only run around $30 ea. so it really isn't worth the savings to risk that they will warp after being turned and you'll end up buying new rotors anyhow.

If your rotors are in good shape you may just be able to throw a new set of pads on and leave the rotors alone (that's what I did with mine a few years ago and I haven't had any issues).
yeah, i have a good friend that has been working over 25 years in a garage. and they stopped turning rotors and drums years ago. not expensive for new ones and the car gets off the lift a whole lot faster. better to have new anyhow. no sense in tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime...
Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The best pad you can buy for stopping power and heat fadding are the "Hawk" brand pads I think Quadratec sells them along with other places. I have been using them for years on my race cars where hard braking is a biggie. They have been around a long time in the racing market with a lot of people running them.

On my XJ on long down hill grades they never seem to overheat either and stop very well. They do cost a little more but my XJ isn't a DD either and mine are still in great shape after 2 yrs. now.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by dmill89
(turning makes them thinner and more prone to warping/cracking).
No argument with all of the above. Turning made more sense when rotors were $50 and turning was 8....Does matter how much they take off though.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: Stright 6

Thank you for the link, very good information. I pulled a front wheel off and measured as shown and then went and bought the pads and rotors. Two hours after starting the job I was back on the road.

I do plan on bleeding the lines next week to give them a good flush.

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Everything you need to know is in this thread, including how to tell if you have cast or composite rotors:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...9/#post3146337

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: New Front BRAKES