Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to the forum/New to Cherokees,a little help please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New to the forum/New to Cherokees,a little help please?

Hello,my name is Chris and I recently picked up a 90 Cherokee 2 dr.its got a 4.0,automatic tranny,4.5 inch Rustys Lift,32x11.50x15 BFG All Terrain tires,an Aussie Locker in the rear and quick disconnects in the front.

Its a solid vehicle but as its older it has a few quirks I'm hoping someone can assist me in fixing.

First thing I want to tackle is a lighting issue. The turn signals have a glitch. The right side signals work fine. The left side rear lights up,the front doesn't though. The indicator on the dash stays on solid when the left side is put into operation.

I thought it was a bulb out because the left front side doesn't light up at all.The bulb looked ok,I put in a new one and it didn't fix the problem.Where should I look next?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

welcome to the forum
and check the fuses and cables that go to and from the lights
Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.oL

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
welcome to the forum
and check the fuses and cables that go to and from the lights
Ditto. Check for any frayed wiring, and your fuses are always a great place to start. Might want to check the contacts on the headlamp itself and make sure there isn't any corrosion there as well
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by 90_cherokee
Hello,my name is Chris and I recently picked up a 90 Cherokee 2 dr.its got a 4.0,automatic tranny,4.5 inch Rustys Lift,32x11.50x15 BFG All Terrain tires,an Aussie Locker in the rear and quick disconnects in the front.

Its a solid vehicle but as its older it has a few quirks I'm hoping someone can assist me in fixing.

First thing I want to tackle is a lighting issue. The turn signals have a glitch. The right side signals work fine. The left side rear lights up,the front doesn't though. The indicator on the dash stays on solid when the left side is put into operation.

I thought it was a bulb out because the left front side doesn't light up at all.The bulb looked ok,I put in a new one and it didn't fix the problem.Where should I look next?
welcome to the world of Jeep. Def go ahead and check the socker and trace the wiring. Also if you got a voltmeter check voltage at the socket to ground and continuity from the sockets ground to chassis to make sure everything is connected. A bad bulb would hjave cause the dash signal to blink rapidly you sound like a ground issue though