Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default New engine?

So I'm new. I am hoping this is where jeep people help other jeep people. My 93XJ is draining me. I refuse to believe my engine is done. It has 254k miles.
It sat for a couple years, it earned a break. lol. It studders like a S.O.B. but can still feel the power and no smoke out the tail. Had code for TPS.(replaced). already had done cap,wires,plugs,all filters,preasure regulater,new heater core,cleaned and checked all vacuums. Figured plugs got fouled from bad TPS,pulled them, two shattered completly. So replaced all plugs again. Now i get O2 lean code and she's studdering worse that ever. Please help. Don't want to take it in and pay someone to go through all the same stuff. Is it time for a new engine?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Originally Posted by Vibraslapp
So I'm new. I am hoping this is where jeep people help other jeep people. My 93XJ is draining me. I refuse to believe my engine is done. It has 254k miles.
It sat for a couple years, it earned a break. lol. It studders like a S.O.B. but can still feel the power and no smoke out the tail. Had code for TPS.(replaced). already had done cap,wires,plugs,all filters,preasure regulater,new heater core,cleaned and checked all vacuums. Figured plugs got fouled from bad TPS,pulled them, two shattered completly. So replaced all plugs again. Now i get O2 lean code and she's studdering worse that ever. Please help. Don't want to take it in and pay someone to go through all the same stuff. Is it time for a new engine?
Do the 02 sensor & a compression test.

Welcome to CherokeeForum.com btw.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM

O2 senser is new and she screems like turbo over 35k rpm's so it must have compression. Oh and thanks i dig it here.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Originally Posted by Vibraslapp
O2 senser is new and she screems like turbo over 35k rpm's so it must have compression. Oh and thanks i dig it here.
O2 sensor may be faulty, just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

35k rpms, you've got that secret rotatory 4.0L? I can haz?

Again, you'll never know till you check. I'd still strongly suggest a compression test & a fuel pressure test just for kicks and gigglys.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:36 PM

whoops, 3500 rpms, and true. Will give it a whirl tamarrow. could exhaust back pressure have anything to do with it?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

is your cat busted? when i hit a hard rock the stuff in my cat broke loose and was moving around everywhere and it cause the same symptoms as yours is doing now. easy way to check that is just kick it with the car off. if it rattles it is bad, of you can take off the muffler and look in if with a flashlight. you should be able to see through it, if not, replace it, at a certified muffler shop ofcoarse
Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
is your cat busted? when i hit a hard rock the stuff in my cat broke loose and was moving around everywhere and it cause the same symptoms as yours is doing now. easy way to check that is just kick it with the car off. if it rattles it is bad, of you can take off the muffler and look in if with a flashlight. you should be able to see through it, if not, replace it, at a certified muffler shop ofcoarse
mine didnt have the same symptoms, but my cat was clogged and kept my jeep from gettin over 45. it was like pulling an invisible cruisliner around with me