Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A new cluster issue appears!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A new cluster issue appears!

The parts of my cluster that function properly are: all gauges, one of five illumination lamps, turn signal indicators, odometer, trip reset, and some indicator lights (e.g. check engine, e-brake), but not all (lift gate ajar).

Wanting the entirety of my cluster to be illuminated, I first tried swapping out the bulbs with some LEDs. After flipping the LEDs and swearing a bunch, I decided the bulbs weren't the issue. I then swapped out the headlight switch to no avail. Then, I read a bunch of posts, but none addressed the issue I'm experiencing. I've now consulted the FSM (8Wa-40-15), it would seem that one wire, E220OR, fed from the C1 connector provides the signal to illuminate all illumination lamps for the cluster, which are wired in parallel. So in my mind, if one lamp is working, they should all work.

After watching the common window switch problem needing to be resolved by soldering at the trace points, I wonder: Could I need to solder trace points on the cluster? I've never seen this addressed in other threads so I thought I'd throw one out there and see what you jeep lords think. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by reproachable_stock
The parts of my cluster that function properly are: all gauges, one of five illumination lamps, turn signal indicators, odometer, trip reset, and some indicator lights (e.g. check engine, e-brake), but not all (lift gate ajar).

Wanting the entirety of my cluster to be illuminated, I first tried swapping out the bulbs with some LEDs. After flipping the LEDs and swearing a bunch, I decided the bulbs weren't the issue. I then swapped out the headlight switch to no avail. Then, I read a bunch of posts, but none addressed the issue I'm experiencing. I've now consulted the FSM (8Wa-40-15), it would seem that one wire, E220OR, fed from the C1 connector provides the signal to illuminate all illumination lamps for the cluster, which are wired in parallel. So in my mind, if one lamp is working, they should all work.

After watching the common window switch problem needing to be resolved by soldering at the trace points, I wonder: Could I need to solder trace points on the cluster? I've never seen this addressed in other threads so I thought I'd throw one out there and see what you jeep lords think. Thanks.

could be whats needed?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by reproachable_stock

could be whats needed? be careful...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Thanks, I'll make sure to take the multimeter around the board before committing to soldering. Just wondered if other folks might have come across this sort of issue before.