Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new cherokee owner with lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new cherokee owner with lots of problems

its a 87 cherokee with 4.0 and a automatic it looks good but it has 225,000 miles i got it for $700 it ran good but had a steering problem and needed brake work

the steering problem -when you turn to the left it wants to wander and acts like its got lots of play the right seems to have no play i have wiggled everything and it seems fine i am thinking about replacing the steering box

i have driven it a few times and now it jerks sometimes going down the street the last time i drove it it jerked than it killed it
the idle is eratic also sometimes

it also has a starting problem i put a new starter on it but now it wont start with the key i have to turn the key on and take a screwdriver and jump the solenoid i am thinking maybe ignition swich or starter relay

the 4 wheel drive is also having problems sometimes it will engage and sometimes it wont does the lockers work off vacuum because there is some lines down there that seem to be in rough shape

i bought this thing for a spare vehicle but its been a real pain i am mostly a ford man and this is the first jeep i have owned i know its used but damn bad thing is when i went to get it all i could find wrong with it was steering and brakes wow do i feel stupid i would appreciate any help with problem solving this thing i can get
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by speedfreak6833
its a 87 cherokee with 4.0 and a automatic it looks good but it has 225,000 miles i got it for $700 it ran good but had a steering problem and needed brake work

the steering problem -when you turn to the left it wants to wander and acts like its got lots of play the right seems to have no play i have wiggled everything and it seems fine i am thinking about replacing the steering box

i have driven it a few times and now it jerks sometimes going down the street the last time i drove it it jerked than it killed it
the idle is eratic also sometimes

it also has a starting problem i put a new starter on it but now it wont start with the key i have to turn the key on and take a screwdriver and jump the solenoid i am thinking maybe ignition swich or starter relay

the 4 wheel drive is also having problems sometimes it will engage and sometimes it wont does the lockers work off vacuum because there is some lines down there that seem to be in rough shape

i bought this thing for a spare vehicle but its been a real pain i am mostly a ford man and this is the first jeep i have owned i know its used but damn bad thing is when i went to get it all i could find wrong with it was steering and brakes wow do i feel stupid i would appreciate any help with problem solving this thing i can get
sounds like you are on the right track with the starting
just one other thing be sure you re connected the small wire on the correct terminal on the starter

you 4x4 problem is probably in the vacuum system or the vac disconnect on the front axle look for loose vac lines
Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 PM

i figured it had to do with the vacuum lines they are a mess under the hood i am going to mess with it this weekend thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM

also is there a good place to find diagrams for the vacuum system
maybe i can get a book from autozone?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

The Haynes manual I have for mine has a decent vaccum diagram for mine. Im sure the expensive mechanics version would be a lot better.