Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new carpet or herculiner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new carpet or herculiner

i pulled out my carpet a while back and i found out the hard way just how much heat a 4.0 and an aw4 trans put out.ive considered herculining my interior but i've heard mixed reviews,everything from the heat from the drivetrain actually melting the bedliner,and also heard that the bedliner will cause rust on the surface it coats.both of these i think are highly unlikely.but i would like to know if anyone has done their interior this way,and if they have had any drawbacks to it
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Right now, I have a coat of undercoat on the inside of my Jeep. I haven't got around to Herculining it yet, but I learned to deal with the added heat. Nothing has melted yet and it saw a 90 degree day. The temperature combined with the exhaust heat would have melted it if anything was going to melt it. I like it and plan on bedlining in the near future. Maybe if you get a thick enough coat of bedline, it will cut the heat down a little bit, but you won't know until you try.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by xjfan2979
i pulled out my carpet a while back and i found out the hard way just how much heat a 4.0 and an aw4 trans put out.ive considered herculining my interior but i've heard mixed reviews,everything from the heat from the drivetrain actually melting the bedliner,and also heard that the bedliner will cause rust on the surface it coats.both of these i think are highly unlikely.but i would like to know if anyone has done their interior this way,and if they have had any drawbacks to it
Not sure what year yours is, but a buddy of mine herculined it and has no problem with it for the two years it's been done. He didn't have any problem with the heat either which is odd because I hear a lot of people talking about that.