Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default New Carpet

Ok so today I spent the day putting new carpet in my 90 XJ. I ripped out the old molded stock carpet that had turned pink from age and much to my suprise the floor panels were not in that bad of shape. In fact it was only surface rust except for one pin sized hole over one of frame rails. I cut the area around this hole out and glued a peice of aluminum over it and I know not the best repair but I dont really have the resources to weld a new peice in.

After the sanding and painting of the floorboards... Sorry didnt decide to take pics until this part

I took the molded carpet out and cut it up until it lay flat on the ground.

I used the old carpet as a stencil to cut this one out of. The carpet was from lowes.

I lined the inside of the Jeep with the green foam carpet pad you use when laying carpet in a house. Easy and self explanatory but sorry no pic.

This pic you see the holes in the carpet for the seats and there is a line showing in the carpet but I fixed that with a little Liquid Nails actually worked grat on the carpet.

Looking good with the new carpet not quite done but I will have to finish it Monday.

This project cost me about 60 bucks for the carpet and pad. I also used liquid nails in a few areas to hold the carpet in place. This is my daily driver to school and the carpet was destroyed looks really good in person and beats the 400 dollar molded carpet kits I think. Sorry about not having a lot of pictures.

Last edited by tuxfan212; 12-26-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee

Looks great, good job

What kind of paint did you use on the floor?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

Thanks. I just ground the floor down to as much bare metal as I could get primered it and used Krylon rust enamel spray paint. I covered everything I did not rip out with sheets.