Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new

hi im going to look at a cherokee soon. i was wondering some of the things i should look for. thanks. also are the factory soa?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

Hey, good luck with your hunt.

I'd say a few items are key: Try to find a rig with little to no rust. Look for the 4.0L High Output (Also known as an "s" VIN) motor, they last forever if they've had even the most basic of maintenance. My jeep is at 206k and the motor hums beautifully.

Also, figure out what you're going to use it for, might help you make a few decisions like, getting one stock, or pre-modded, etc.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by dbmata
Hey, good luck with your hunt.

I'd say a few items are key: Try to find a rig with little to no rust. Look for the 4.0L High Output (Also known as an "s" VIN) motor, they last forever if they've had even the most basic of maintenance. My jeep is at 206k and the motor hums beautifully.

Also, figure out what you're going to use it for, might help you make a few decisions like, getting one stock, or pre-modded, etc.

well i have a yj. but it need work and i found a good deal on this. i just want to use it to go to work and school. and rarly take it in the wood. i just want like 3 inchs in it and like 31s and id be happy
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO

if you only want to rarely take it in the woods, and are going to be driving it as a commuter... why get the lift and the big tires? I'm under the impression that diminishes mpg.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 PM

why not lol. looks nice. im not gonna do it right away. as i have it for a while. i might need to offroad if my yjs not on the road... so maybe i shouldn't have said rarly. like once a week maybe. and not anything serious. i just want the lift so i don't ruin anything
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

look for a 1997 to 1999 they are the newer style and still have the high pinion front axle. and only the rear is a soa. the front is coil springs. go for the 4.0 automatic with the np 231 transfer case and look for the Chrysler 8.25 rear end not the Dana 35