Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need suggestions for upgrading my cherokee for pulling a load

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need suggestions for upgrading my cherokee for pulling a load

Hi,

My vehicle is the following

1990 cherokee
4.0l
aw4 auto
dana 35/30 with stock 3.55
non a/c
3" lift
31" mt

My xj is my daily driver, it see's occasional weekend off roading, but most of the time the off roading is to get me to my fishing/camping spots.

But over the next year I plan on buying a small travel trailer around 16ft. loaded weight should be no more then 3800lbs and the trailer will have electric brakes.

I'm not sure but the max pulling weight for the xj is 5000lbs, is this correct?

I'm looking for suggestions to make the xj more capable for towing the trailer. so far I plan on doing the following,

Redo the tranny lines they are getting old now, while at it I'll install a tranny cooler. Any recommendations on size? I will be using a stand alone cooler that will not be run through the radiator.

The transmission it self was inspected last year and is in top shape.

switch out the closed loop cooling to open loop. while at it upgrade the rad to alum high performance unit.

swap out mechanical fan for 2 electric units since right now I don't have an aux fan in my xj. Don't know if this was an option or the previous owner removed it.

swapping out the vacuum d30 for a non vac unit.

swapping out the d35 for either a 8.25 or a ford 8.8

I haven't really decided which yet. Dana 44's just aren't readily availible here.

changing rear drums to disc and swapping the proportioning valve.
should I do brake booster too?

changing the gearing. I really need opinions here: stuck between 3.73 or 4.10's If I use 4.10 would this destroy my gas mileage being a daily driver?
I understand you can't have both optimal gearing for pulling and gas mileage but I'm hoping to find somthing in the middle that will be tolerable for both.

would an engine oil cooler be recommended as well or would it be over kill.

most of my fishing/ camping trips are pretty long hauls with some pretty steep grades.

any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

go 8.8

install a set of air bags to accomodate the extra stress on rear leaves.

if you go 410s it would be like 110% of stock
3.73s would be like 95% of stock
since you are guna be hauling stuff id go 4.10s
Old 03-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

I put a highflow cat and flowmaster 40 on my 4.0 not that long ago seemed to make it breathe alot better and pull some hills around here alittle easier. I plan on doing some mid scale intake mods here real soon but I would try the exhaust upgrade it seemed to do the trick. I also went 2.5" from header back its not gonna hurt and if you shop around and can be creative you will just need a cat and muffler just make the rest of the exhaust yourself to save a couple bucks. Seemed to wake the response of the engine up Good Luck
Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by the_crazy_russian@hotmail
Hi,

My vehicle is the following

1990 cherokee
4.0l
aw4 auto
dana 35/30 with stock 3.55
non a/c
3" lift
31" mt

My xj is my daily driver, it see's occasional weekend off roading, but most of the time the off roading is to get me to my fishing/camping spots.

But over the next year I plan on buying a small travel trailer around 16ft. loaded weight should be no more then 3800lbs and the trailer will have electric brakes.

I'm not sure but the max pulling weight for the xj is 5000lbs, is this correct?

I'm looking for suggestions to make the xj more capable for towing the trailer. so far I plan on doing the following,

Redo the tranny lines they are getting old now, while at it I'll install a tranny cooler. Any recommendations on size? I will be using a stand alone cooler that will not be run through the radiator.

The transmission it self was inspected last year and is in top shape.

switch out the closed loop cooling to open loop. while at it upgrade the rad to alum high performance unit.

swap out mechanical fan for 2 electric units since right now I don't have an aux fan in my xj. Don't know if this was an option or the previous owner removed it.

swapping out the vacuum d30 for a non vac unit.

swapping out the d35 for either a 8.25 or a ford 8.8

I haven't really decided which yet. Dana 44's just aren't readily availible here.

changing rear drums to disc and swapping the proportioning valve.
should I do brake booster too?

changing the gearing. I really need opinions here: stuck between 3.73 or 4.10's If I use 4.10 would this destroy my gas mileage being a daily driver?
I understand you can't have both optimal gearing for pulling and gas mileage but I'm hoping to find somthing in the middle that will be tolerable for both.

would an engine oil cooler be recommended as well or would it be over kill.

most of my fishing/ camping trips are pretty long hauls with some pretty steep grades.

any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
If it's not major off roading, get some smaller tires.
Definitely get the tranny cooler. They are known to run hot.
Go with the 3.73, 4.10 is overkill unless your going to be hauling a lot more than 3800.
Keep the mechanical fan. More reliable than 2 electrics.
You won't need break booster, it won't help unless you upsize the brakes and have large tires(you do). My father and I smoked the brakes (two disc-two drum) a lot hauling a 94-96 (can't remember) bayliner capri on I85. They also lock up really easy.
And you will need a helper spring or something to hold the weight up. Unless you like staring at the sky.

You could get away hauling this without all of these mods, but whatever suits you. Maybe just get the transmission cooler and disc brakes.