Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default need some input

this is not the site for my jeep. however, i have what i feel is a universal question for all jeeps. if you have a no-start situation that you changed out all sensors that would cause such a problem, would it tend to lean towards a bad ignition switch or voltage regulator in the pcm? i got a brand new battery and the dash gauge keeps showing it peg down to the red zone when cranking the motor. key in the on position reads about 12. actual battery metered reading is 13.8 volts. my manual say's that a perpetual red zone reading on the battery gauge is caused by a bad battery, alternator, or voltage regulator in the pcm. i saw no symptoms of a bad alternator or ignition switch leading up to the no-start. i hear a slight sizzle( i'm assuming arcing) when the key is on or run position from the power distribution center panel under the hood. i'm getting fuel, but no spark. i read 14.7 volts on the coil electrical connector. put in new plug wires, plugs, distributor cap & rotor , cam sensor ( pick-up coil/relay) , Crank sensor, coil, battery. removed distrib. cap and made sure rotor turns when ignition tries to crank jeep. i read voltage everywhere, starter, alternator, sensors, etc. fuses and relays all good with voltage. starter comes on, serpentine belt and pulleys all turning. no spark from plugs. last 2 times in a shop, my jeep computer would lose all communication with shop computers and eventually would re-connect with them. that would make me think pcm ( voltage regulator ) or trigger pulse signal problem. need some more experienced vets to chime in with their 2 cents. it's a 97 grand cherokee laredo 4.0L 2WD. sorry for the long read and trespassing on your site. by the way, with everything turned off and all fuses and relays pulled out of PDC fuse panel, i still have 2 hot slots that are reading twice the normal battery voltage. 1 is the IOD (ignition off drain ) pegging the meter at 25 volts . the 2sd slot is the MUX / T. TOW pegging at 27 volts. i would not consider this normal. any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'm a little confused. The Jeep is not running, correct? If so, I don't know how you would get 25-27V from a 12V battery. Where exactly are you measuring?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by vadergator
this is not the site for my jeep. however, i have what i feel is a universal question for all jeeps. if you have a no-start situation that you changed out all sensors that would cause such a problem, would it tend to lean towards a bad ignition switch or voltage regulator in the pcm? i got a brand new battery and the dash gauge keeps showing it peg down to the red zone when cranking the motor. key in the on position reads about 12. actual battery metered reading is 13.8 volts. my manual say's that a perpetual red zone reading on the battery gauge is caused by a bad battery, alternator, or voltage regulator in the pcm. i saw no symptoms of a bad alternator or ignition switch leading up to the no-start. i hear a slight sizzle( i'm assuming arcing) when the key is on or run position from the power distribution center panel under the hood. i'm getting fuel, but no spark. i read 14.7 volts on the coil electrical connector. put in new plug wires, plugs, distributor cap & rotor , cam sensor ( pick-up coil/relay) , Crank sensor, coil, battery. removed distrib. cap and made sure rotor turns when ignition tries to crank jeep. i read voltage everywhere, starter, alternator, sensors, etc. fuses and relays all good with voltage. starter comes on, serpentine belt and pulleys all turning. no spark from plugs. last 2 times in a shop, my jeep computer would lose all communication with shop computers and eventually would re-connect with them. that would make me think pcm ( voltage regulator ) or trigger pulse signal problem. need some more experienced vets to chime in with their 2 cents. it's a 97 grand cherokee laredo 4.0L 2WD. sorry for the long read and trespassing on your site. by the way, with everything turned off and all fuses and relays pulled out of PDC fuse panel, i still have 2 hot slots that are reading twice the normal battery voltage. 1 is the IOD (ignition off drain ) pegging the meter at 25 volts . the 2sd slot is the MUX / T. TOW pegging at 27 volts. i would not consider this normal. any input would be appreciated.
^^^^^
Condense this mess to a maximum of (3) properly composed sentences.
Ready, set, GO!