Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some help with this one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need some help with this one.

So heres the break down,... I have my xj down for about 4 weeks now doing body work, sanding and painting but the whole time I have been driving it and moving it around the shop and yard as the project has went on. with in the last week and half. I pulled it in the shop for the final time to begin the final stages of bedlining the whole thing, exterior, door jams, underneath, and under the hood. While doing the jams and that would have the doors open for a good part of the project. I disconnected the battery (positive side) got everything painted let it set to dry good. Well went out today finish her up finalize putting the door panels, head lights, tail lights and etc all back together hooked the battery back up and had this strange buzzing from under the dash (not like the the warning buzzer though) Attempted to start and the solenoid just clicked (reminder drove this girl into the shop and disconnected the battery ?!?!?!?) well grabbed the charger hooked up on 2a 12 volt charge, worked on a few more projects. came back put the battery back in the jeep (still had this buzzing sound until I attempted to crank it again once I turned the key the buzzing quit and now the ol' girl want crank. shes getting fuel but no fire from what I can tell (screw driver in #1 plug wire within 1/4 of a inch ground point and had wife spin her over and no spark from what i saw. I have searched around and found one forum stating crank position sensor. looking for any ideas theorys and help would be greatly appreciated was really looking forward to getting her on the road for the work week but of course she had no plans on leaving the shop obviously.

edit: sorry guys

1998 xj 4.0 144,000 complete tune up with in the last 4 months

Thanks for any guidance, assistance, theorys

Last edited by Topaz45; 08-07-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Did the battery hold the charge?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Default charging state

It seemed fine held with a simple check of the headlights on spinning the engine didnt appear to drop voltage but I am going to test it tomorrow hopefully. I have found idling problems with poor voltage or poor cinnections but just not cranking. it will spin like crazy so it seems that it has plenty of power to power everything. on top of this I am not a very experienced mechanic by no means but I can get the job done as long as I know where to start and thsi one has me stumped.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Why did you remove the positive and leave the negative? Is that a misprint or is that what you did?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM

that is the way I have always been shown to disconnect the pos and leave it grounded to protect any electronics. If this is incorrect,... my bad... if so would I have caused damage to anything obvious by disconnecting only the positive
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Yeah, no. Its always the other way around. ALWAYS disconnect the ground. Thats the safest way to avoid frying something, yourself included.

Im wondering if thats what might have happened. If a wire was touched it could have fried whatever was on the other end.

Me personally, it only takes 5 more seconds to disconnect both and be SUPER safe, but if you MUST only disconnect 1 of them, its always the ground. And when disconnecting/connecting a battery, ground gets disconnected first, then positive. Connecting is always the opposite (Positive then ground).

Last edited by bigvig; 08-07-2011 at 10:02 PM.