Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Need some help fast!

Alright so I have a 1994 xj with a 5 speed rims are 15's tires 23.

I get this burning plastic/rubber/exaust smell in the cab comming from under the plastic panel for my 5 speed.

This only happens when i tach over 2-3k (Beating on it a little)
Normally I stay between 1-2k rpm because it has tons of power unless I'm trying to go somewere fast I dont need to tach higher.

Every now and then it will get so bad its smoky in the cab. Like just now I was taken my gf to classes and we were going up hill at 2k rpm it started to get a little smoky and smell terrible.

Here is what I think is wrong but hope isnt.

Either the clutch is slipping majorly. Because when I use to pull out I could liquidfy my tires without a problem. Now all it does is chirp. And I dont mean taching it up to like 4k and dumping the clutch like a tard.

It doesn't seem to be slipping. I've owned 2 5 speeds in my short life and had to change the clutch but it was on a ranger and I never had the smell or smoke before
I did notice tho, As i was pulling out of a stop sign 2 people on my side decided as I was in the middle of my turn to start comming towards me. I put it to the floor and instead of the normal taking off and spinning tire I got a small chirp alot of engine rev and didnt go to fast but it still got outta there in time

Either that or an exaust leak? Or somthing worse? My engine bay was coated in oil over a dumb mistake of mine but it would smoke the whole time right? Its been a few days thats its been doing it..

I've done some stuff lately that might have started this?

So far ive cleaned out the head
ran a can of seafoam before hand(Really didnt look to do much to the valves)
After I cleaned it out I ran 1 more can of seafoam after about 300 miles.
Cleaned out the valve cover(No idea why this would affect anything but its info)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have to travel about 500 miles near every week and this smell is killin me.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee

Sounds like you have a oil and transmission leak on the exhaust.

When you get time look upnder the jeep to see if something is dripping or leaking on the exhaust which will cause the smoke and smell your talking about.

When you said you got oil over the engine did you degrease and clean the engine really well i would clean the engine and under the jeep and see where's your leak.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by jeepxjho
Sounds like you have a oil and transmission leak on the exhaust.

When you get time look upnder the jeep to see if something is dripping or leaking on the exhaust which will cause the smoke and smell your talking about.

When you said you got oil over the engine did you degrease and clean the engine really well i would clean the engine and under the jeep and see where's your leak.
Yeah I went out and checked it. There is oil on the ground near the passenger side. Ill have to get under and look around. Do you think it would be both? Or just oil to cause this.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I know this may sound dumb but lookat the whole exhaust look for any dark or black spots like oil slinging aganist it maybe from your yoke or u-joints spraying grease or oil. also follow the entire exhaust for anything melted against it like a plastic bag or wiring loom or any junk plastic. i am only saying this because it happened to me when a plastic bag got stuck on my cat and it melted there and only when i beat on the the vehicle is when it really heated up the cat to smell it burning off.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by juggalo33438
Alright so I have a 1994 xj with a 5 speed rims are 15's tires 23.

I get this burning plastic/rubber/exaust smell in the cab comming from under the plastic panel for my 5 speed.

This only happens when i tach over 2-3k (Beating on it a little)
Normally I stay between 1-2k rpm because it has tons of power unless I'm trying to go somewere fast I dont need to tach higher.

Every now and then it will get so bad its smoky in the cab. Like just now I was taken my gf to classes and we were going up hill at 2k rpm it started to get a little smoky and smell terrible.

Here is what I think is wrong but hope isnt.

Either the clutch is slipping majorly. Because when I use to pull out I could liquidfy my tires without a problem. Now all it does is chirp. And I dont mean taching it up to like 4k and dumping the clutch like a tard.

It doesn't seem to be slipping. I've owned 2 5 speeds in my short life and had to change the clutch but it was on a ranger and I never had the smell or smoke before
I did notice tho, As i was pulling out of a stop sign 2 people on my side decided as I was in the middle of my turn to start comming towards me. I put it to the floor and instead of the normal taking off and spinning tire I got a small chirp alot of engine rev and didnt go to fast but it still got outta there in time

Either that or an exaust leak? Or somthing worse? My engine bay was coated in oil over a dumb mistake of mine but it would smoke the whole time right? Its been a few days thats its been doing it..

I've done some stuff lately that might have started this?

So far ive cleaned out the head
ran a can of seafoam before hand(Really didnt look to do much to the valves)
After I cleaned it out I ran 1 more can of seafoam after about 300 miles.
Cleaned out the valve cover(No idea why this would affect anything but its info)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have to travel about 500 miles near every week and this smell is killin me.
tires are 23 inches?!?!?!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM

you stated that you hit the gas got a small chirp then higher rpms, not alot of speed. sounds like the clutch is slipping to me.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

check your plugs, alternator and battery for the power loss problem also clean your battery terminal posts