Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Some Help

Hey Guys and Gals. Sorry if I seem kind of dumb in the next few questions I am going to ask but I am in need of help.

I have a 2000 XJ Sport. I am having issues or what I feel are issues with the running temperature. When I an not running my a/c it runs below 210 degrees. When I turn on my a/c it jumps to 210 and sometimes rises when I am at idle. My electric fan comes on after the temp rise only. Shouldn't my electric fan be coming on instantly when I turn the a/c on? What are some ways to release the heat from the engine area other than buying like some hood inserts I have seen on 4wd stores website.

Next question, and I hope I did not mess up doing this. When I changed my oil the last time I accidentally got a full synthetic oil instead of my regular oil. I have only done this once. Am I safe to switch back to my regular oil or do I need to continue running full synthetic?

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who can help or offer advice.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

The electric fan is designed to kick on only when engine temps get higher than designed. To keep the engine temp down, hood vents would help. But the 4.0 is a hot running engine. Running 210 is okay with the AC on.

As for the oil, yes you are just fine switching back to synthetic. I run conventional, but every third oil change I run a synthetic blend to help keep things clean.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your temps and fan are operating correctly as designed.

As for the oil yes you can dump the syn oil and go back to what you were running before as you seem to know what it needs for oil and were running.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Academic I suppose since you seem to be fine.....I might have seen somewhere that for 00 and 01, the fan does not come on automatically with AC, there was a change. So not sure there, but maybe...