Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some help on a 1995 jeep cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need some help on a 1995 jeep cherokee

Well i don't really don't know were to begin but this is my first post here.
I had a 1995 ford explorer that i just loved but a guy totaled it.So of course i got very little money for it and my wifes friend had a 1995 jeep cherokee sport they just wanted to get rid of because it has sat around for over a yr.

They sold it to me for $500.It has ice cold air and it seemed to run great.Well i found out that a bunch of squirrels made a home under the hood so who knows what needs replacement.So far i have dropped over $1200 in 3days.It needed a whole new front brake system as it was locking up on me from sitting,master cylinder,new cap and plugs and wires.The critters chewed off the pre ignition wire that needed replacement.I need to get a valve cover gasket,as well as a new therostat and gasket,new belt,new tires,.The list goes on.

My thing is i thought the tranny was bad but found out it was perfect.I put lucus transmission treatment in it which i have had awesome luck with my explorer but the tranny was going in that truck unlike this jeep.I trust the guy i take it to as he wouldn't steer me wrong i hope any way.He said that the lucus would do more bad then good in a perfect transmission and need to get that stuff out asap with a flush,is this true?I also have a 4.0HO motor,whats the difference between the 4.0 and the 4.0HO if any?

It has tons of power that is for sure.The truck only has 136,000 miles on it.The guy told me the straight six in this jeep will run forever if taken care of,is this a good motor in this jeep as i have no idea about jeeps?Is there any thing on these that usually goes that i need to be aware of.I don't have alot of money and can't keep sinking money into it if it won't hold up so i found this forum for help.Any help would be great thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Any additives, whether it be in the oil, transmission, etc. should not be kept in long term. An engine likes nothing better than for an owner to not be neglectful. Regular, routine maintenance will keep it running very well. Your 4.0 high output will go for muchhhhhh longer if you treat it right. I know there are guys on here that have well over 300k miles on their rigs and they probably run better than mine with just under 130k on it. So yes, treat it right, change the oil, etc. etc. and you will get a very long life out of it
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why i'm asking for advice.I have never owned a jeep.I use lucus full oil synthetic stabilizer in all my cars or trucks i have ever owned and will continue to do so.It is a great product and is made for new or old vechiles.I have used it in brand new cars with great results.As far as the transmission stuff i can see why you would wan't to take it out.As far as the lucus engine oil stabilizer i think it's awesome stuff and i change my oil every 6mths or 7500 miles so it's always fresh stuff.I use royal purple 10w-30 oil for my engines.I think it's the best oil out there of course besides amsoil.