Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NEED SOME HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NEED SOME HELP

i got the airraid filtration system.i usually use the proper spray and oil cleaner made by k & n.im 1,800 miles from home and dont wanna spare the cash for the cleaner cause im tight on cash.i need to clean this thing,any tips on cleaning my filter without this product.maybe wash it in water with soap and is it safe??and if i use motor oil (new) maybe put it on my hands lightly and rub it in to the filter with a very very small amount.anyone ever had to do this.i dont wanna damage my filter or engine,but its gotta be cleaned for the trip
Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

This is just a suggestion from my theoretical thinking. Take off the filter and maybe try to vacuum the filter from the outside......or use an air compressor to blow the dirt off from the inside of the filter. Whatever you do DON'T wash your filter w/ water. I believe the filter has paper in it and thats why the kit is required for cleaning. I ride dirt bikes and the dishsoap/motor oil method is acceptable for foam filters only from my experience. For your next trip buy some cheap pantyhose and use them as prefilters. They work great. Hope this helps... Good luck and happy wheelin'!