Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: straight six
Default need some help

Hello all!! Brand new to forum very first post! Got my first Jeep product ever 3 days ago. 1996 jeep grand cherokee straight six with auto transmission laredo edition.200,000 thousand miles on it... eek i know high miles, but i got it on the cheap. So it needs some work to say the least. OK that being said it is giving me some grief the past couple mornings. chilly damp air. had trouble starting it, finally after gettin it started, driving it about a mile... interrmittent shut offs like fuel deprived... took a few tries to get restarted. driving and shuts off.... wait a few minutes and restarts. So after reading some on here, i replace fuel filter and air filter. seemed to fix the problem, although it was much warmer and drier then. This morning monday, same morning conditions, a little trouble starting 2 tries, BOOM , backfires to the point it popped muffler.

So was wondering if anyone has advice on what this could be and how to fix it.runs great during the warm part of the day and apparently doesnt like cool damp mornings! Any advice would be great, since i know nothing of jeeps.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

OK, Let me be the first one to let you know. If you post in the correct section you may get a answer much sooner. As the section said it is for Jeep Cherokee not grand Cherokee and yes the is a section for them too.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: straight six

sorry about that.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by sotxjeepnoob
mornings. chilly damp air. morning conditions, popped muffler.
Maybe classic FDS, (Funky Distributor Syndrome). Pretty sure you want to make sure your plugs, wires, cap & rotor are all in order before you spend much mote time on it. You might look in the distributor in the morning for condensation.

If that doesn't do it check this first video. Looks like he's back probing the red wire to check for 1/2 a volt AC cranking, to check his CPS. I haven't tried this, and don't know for sure what to expect from my regular meter as opposed to the "true rms" or whatever the spendy ones are. It may be just a few % difference.

http://www.cherokeetech.com/VBull/sh...agnosis-Videos