Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need recommendation on Los Angeles area engine rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242
Default Need recommendation on Los Angeles area engine rebuilder

Hi guys,

Pulled the head from my XJ over the weekend and took it to a machine shop for inspection, cleaning and valve job. I just heard back from them and they said the head is cracked.

Soooooooo. Shopping around online a head is around $500 outright, but a whole reman engine is around $1100-$1600. I figure for the price diff I might as well go ahead and get the reman engine and just throw the whole thing in there. (Then I’ll finally be able to get the vehicle smogged and registered.)

I don’t have an issue buying online but I’d rather go with a local engine dealer to avoid the hassle of shipping the core back. Plus… I’d just rather go with a local engine dealer anyway.

There are dozens of engine shops in L.A. but I’m not sure which one is worth the $. A little help please?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by blasto9000
Hi guys,

Pulled the head from my XJ over the weekend and took it to a machine shop for inspection, cleaning and valve job. I just heard back from them and they said the head is cracked.

Soooooooo. Shopping around online a head is around $500 outright, but a whole reman engine is around $1100-$1600. I figure for the price diff I might as well go ahead and get the reman engine and just throw the whole thing in there. (Then I’ll finally be able to get the vehicle smogged and registered.)

I don’t have an issue buying online but I’d rather go with a local engine dealer to avoid the hassle of shipping the core back. Plus… I’d just rather go with a local engine dealer anyway.

There are dozens of engine shops in L.A. but I’m not sure which one is worth the $. A little help please?
Well, Im not sure about anything in the LA area, however there are LEGIT reman shops on ebay (not ignorant backyard bumpkins with a tabacco covered block, but actual shops with established stores), and I found one or 2 that actually wave the core for 30 days and pay for the shipping of the core back. All you gotta do is box it and call to have it picked up. No core hassle unless you wait longer than a month.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Well, Im not sure about anything in the LA area, however there are LEGIT reman shops on ebay (not ignorant backyard bumpkins with a tabacco covered block, but actual shops with established stores), and I found one or 2 that actually wave the core for 30 days and pay for the shipping of the core back. All you gotta do is box it and call to have it picked up. No core hassle unless you wait longer than a month.
Ah! Thanks for the suggestion. With what I've found out about the L.A. area rebuilders I'll probably end up going with an eBay vendor per your suggestion.

I scanned the listings last night and there's a ton of 4.0s available and the shipping and core policies are very agreeable.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is where i did some of auto repair in los angeles. hope this shop that i am referring will help you. i found this A & K Auto Repair shop. they are located at 4731 Telegraph Rd, LA. this was referred to me by automd and are good in terms of doing some of the car repair. well if you find this California repair a little bit far away to your area, you can check out automd and click tha tab for find shops. good day.

Last edited by rainandsun; 08-27-2013 at 01:06 AM.