Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need new muffler, what sounds good on the 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Need new muffler, what sounds good on the 4.0?

Hello, everyone. My Jeep recently backfired real bad and caused the muffler to rip in half and the backfire caused me to lose all spark (or maybe no spark caused the backfire in the first place), but I'm working on fixing that now. I need a new muffler though. I was thinking of either a Cherrybomb glasspack, Cherrybomb turbo, and Thrush turbo. Something like that under $40. Does anybody have any personal opinions on these. I want something with decent sound, that's not obnoxiously loud. And something that will pass that whole NJ State Inspection decibel reading (or however they judge how loud the exhaust is). I've heard mixed opinions on whether the glasspacks are street legal...some say it depends on how loud it is and some say they're outright illegal for street use. I'll probably put a picture of the muffler up tomorrow so everyone can get a good laugh. Thanks in advance and have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM

your gonna have to dish out more than 40$ cause a cherry bomb turbo muffler is 30$ and sounds like a hallow can

now if you want to go with the better stuff (less than 100$) i would go with the super 44 it sounds like stock but has a deeper tone and its a little louder
Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

I don't have the budget for flowmaster right now or I would go all out. I just need something to quiet it down a little bit so I don't get pulled over everyday. As long as it sounds half decent, I don't mind. I mean, like they say, you get what you pay for. So a $40 muffler isn't gonna be made of gold and sound beastly, but it's all I can afford right now.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

well personally i would spend the extra and go with a flowmaster...i got a flowmaster super 44 and it sounds pretty good...but if ya want the glasspack and to me doesnt sound too good, its up to you and the budget youll spend
Old 12-24-2009, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Yea, I don't have the money for anything that actually sounds "good". I'm probably gonna go with either the Cherrybomb turbo and Thrush turbo. I'd just like opinions on which sounds better. Youtube videos don't really do too much justice.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Ive had a thrush turbo Sounded to like stock. I have a glasspack now and it sounds great after they get worn in plus you cant beat the price. 20$
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 PM

glasspacks sound like trailer trash and i hate the hollow sound of cherry bomb, i have yet to hear a good exhaust system from that company
Old 12-24-2009, 09:01 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

go get a stock muffler from advanced autoparts its like 35 bucks
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ?2010
Ive had a thrush turbo Sounded to like stock. I have a glasspack now and it sounds great after they get worn in plus you cant beat the price. 20$
Well if the Thrush turbo sounds like stock, I won't bother with it. Did it pass state inspection with the glasspack? And the price is right for me with the glasspack. Also, I'll probably be upgrading eventually. Something like a Super 44, but I just can't afford an $85 muffler right now.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazythingsido2
go get a stock muffler from advanced autoparts its like 35 bucks
Well, I figure since I already have to take the muffler off I might as well put something louder on it. Besides, the stock muffler didn't hold up so great to ONE bad backfire. If I blow out another stock one because of a backfire I'd be pretty angry.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

I have a glasspack on my 91. At idle it has a nice throaty idle but its not load. You can hear it but its pleasent. In-vehicle noise is next to nothing(my tires are louder) and it doesn't get cops or ppl paying attention to you. It has a nice sound like that of a straight pipe, but more refined
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee113
Well if the Thrush turbo sounds like stock, I won't bother with it. Did it pass state inspection with the glasspack? And the price is right for me with the glasspack. Also, I'll probably be upgrading eventually. Something like a Super 44, but I just can't afford an $85 muffler right now.
i know NJ has some pretty funky INS laws. but here they dont go by sound or emisions under 96. could be loud as all hell and still pass. if its obd2 it can be loud as hell but as long as the emmissions are clean then its all good

because it passes inspection doesnt mean it will pass police inspection lmao
Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
I have a glasspack on my 91. At idle it has a nice throaty idle but its not load. You can hear it but its pleasent. In-vehicle noise is next to nothing(my tires are louder) and it doesn't get cops or ppl paying attention to you. It has a nice sound like that of a straight pipe, but more refined
Alright, I think I've made my decision. Two CF Veterans both have glasspacks and say they sound good on their Jeeps. I think I'll take your word for it.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ
i know NJ has some pretty funky INS laws. but here they dont go by sound or emisions under 96. could be loud as all hell and still pass. if its obd2 it can be loud as hell but as long as the emmissions are clean then its all good

because it passes inspection doesnt mean it will pass police inspection lmao
Yea, that's a good point about the police not liking it. NJ has some retarded laws. 95 and under get the exhaust sniffer which is required to pass inspection (the computer WILL NOT print the sticker without passing emissions) and can have ONE Check Engine code on their computer. 96 and newer get the OBII scan and must pass emissions and can have no Check Engine light or codes.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Alright, I think I've made my decision. Two CF Veterans both have glasspacks and say they sound good on their Jeeps. I think I'll take your word for it.
If you want a good example of what a glasspack will sound like(don't run it on the road like this, its just for you to hear what its like) unbolt your exhaust just before the cat right behind the transfercase cross memeber. Its 4 bolts, and with some PB blaster it takes about 10 minutes. Crank her up and give it some gas so you can hear the exhaust all through the rev range. It will be obnoxiously loud. But thats the sound a glass pack makes, just alot quiter and more refined. The glasspack brings down the volume alot and takes the edgyness off.

Yea, that's a good point about the police not liking it. NJ has some retarded laws. 95 and under get the exhaust sniffer which is required to pass inspection (the computer WILL NOT print the sticker without passing emissions) and can have ONE Check Engine code on their computer. 96 and newer get the OBII scan and must pass emissions and can have no Check Engine light or codes.
Remind me never to move anywhere that has stupid stuff like that

Last edited by ZachsXJ; 12-24-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Need new muffler, what sounds good on the 4.0?