Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need lift kit advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Thumbs up Need lift kit advice!

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to lift my XJ enough for 31"s. I've been doing a lot of reading online and shopping around but I don't know enough about the differences or have any first hand experience with them to make a decision. I want to make sure I put a good system underneath it and don't cut any corners. Any advice or reccommendations? I sure would appreciate any input, thanks!

00XJCO
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline six

i would do a 3 inch with full leaf packs.... i like the rusty's kits
Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

go with RE or RC Very nice lifts
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

Do a 3" lift minimum with new leaf packs and good quality nitrogen filled shocks. RE has a 3.5 kit that will actually net closer to 4-4.5". RC makes 2 very nice 3" kits, 1 with just springs and shocks and 1 with all that plus new lower control arms and sway bar extensions. You also have Rusty's which is probably a good lift but IMHO the coils are 2 soft. If you just go 3" you will need to relocation your axle side track bar mount which Stryker has a very good writeup on. If you do a 4"+ lift you can buy a new adjustable track bar. There are also other very good lift kits those are just the 3 most popular companies between RE,RC and Rusty's. The most important part is get good quality shocks cause you get what you pay for so something like OME, Bilstein will go a long way in creating a nice riding rig and new leaf packs.

Some other things to consider is drive line angles and the possible need for an SYE or t-case drop. New sway bar end links and replacing your control arm bushings. Also I know most don't do this but replace you rear shackles busings as well since they are likely wore out. You can either replace just the bushings or order new replacements for cheap enough to make it well worth it.

There are lots and lots of options. What are your goals other then tire size. Do you eventually want to go bigger, what will the primary use of the rig be and so on. Basically give us good details of what you want the end result to be. Hope that all helps a bit.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

RC
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

everyone has different opinions about different companies. also, with a newer XJ, doing a 3" lift you might need an SYE like okc said. but if at all possible, avoid a tcase drop, it completely negates the entire lift process. you can do some homebrew disco's to save a little money. just try and find a kit that is complete, IE; new leafs, shocks, coils, maybe a new tracbar. RE is a good company but is fairly expensive, rusty's is pretty good(dont buy their steering), and from what i've heard RC is decent(dont have any personal experience with them but a lot of ppl run it)
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 00XJCO
Hey everybody,

I'm looking to lift my XJ enough for 31"s. I've been doing a lot of reading online and shopping around but I don't know enough about the differences or have any first hand experience with them to make a decision. I want to make sure I put a good system underneath it and don't cut any corners. Any advice or reccommendations? I sure would appreciate any input, thanks!

00XJCO
Key words: "good system" "don't cut any corners"

My suggestion: Rubicon Express 3.5" superflex with sye kit and driveshaft. You won't be cutting any corners with that kit and it's super-durable. This is the way to do it right the first time.

Rough country gets my vote for 2nd place. They are a step below RE but still make good lift kits.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback! In response to OKC's question:

I may eventually want to go bigger with the lift and tires. We have a '98 grand cherokee that's all stock and we've put it through hell and back many times and totally taken it to the max on the local trails, and I want to just step it up a few notches with the new XJ to be able to go some places we have attempted before and then some, without going too big too fast to take all the fun out of it. So I figured the lift with some good tires is a good place to start, as I get more money to put into it, I would like to get lockers, new bumpers, winch, etc. Weather permitting, I will be taking it up in the mountains pretty much every weekend. So it is going to be a daily driver, but it's going to see a lot of trails. I'm relatively novice when it comes to modifications, but I have quite a bit of experience on the trails and no stranger to working on vehicles.

To sum it up, I want to start with all good quality parts and have room for upgrades later, and want to keep as much on road drivability as I can for now. I've budgeted about $1,500 for the first phase of the project, being the lift and a new wheel+tire package, with a little bit of wiggle room, so I can go over that a little bit if I need to.

-00XJCO
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: I-6

Hey everybody,

00XJCO
at least a 3 inch, with a new pack, or aals
Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback! In response to OKC's question:

I may eventually want to go bigger with the lift and tires. We have a '98 grand cherokee that's all stock and we've put it through hell and back many times and totally taken it to the max on the local trails, and I want to just step it up a few notches with the new XJ to be able to go some places we have attempted before and then some, without going too big too fast to take all the fun out of it. So I figured the lift with some good tires is a good place to start, as I get more money to put into it, I would like to get lockers, new bumpers, winch, etc. Weather permitting, I will be taking it up in the mountains pretty much every weekend. So it is going to be a daily driver, but it's going to see a lot of trails. I'm relatively novice when it comes to modifications, but I have quite a bit of experience on the trails and no stranger to working on vehicles.

To sum it up, I want to start with all good quality parts and have room for upgrades later, and want to keep as much on road drivability as I can for now. I've budgeted about $1,500 for the first phase of the project, being the lift and a new wheel+tire package, with a little bit of wiggle room, so I can go over that a little bit if I need to.

-00XJCO

If you want quality with room to grow IMHO RE 3.5 SuperRide or Super flex. It will net around 4-4.5". It's plenty of lift for 31-32" tires and room to grow with. You could easily add 1-2" of lift with spacers and shackles. Although IMHO the lift is plenty for up to 33"s with bumpstops and fender trimming. Get the JKS or RE 1600 adjustable trackbar. Then add some good shocks like RE's Twin Tube or if you want better ride quality go with OME or Bilsteins. If you get the RE 3.5 kit also get 3/4" spacers to level the front out. Next get a t-case drop kit as a short term fix with the SYE and Driveshaft as a future item in the budget.

Now you could also do a 3" RC lift and eventually add spacers and shackles and get close to 5" of lift. 31's will run perfect on the 3" kit. You will still need and SYE but can et by again with a t-case drop kit.

Anyways thats my thoughts and if it was em from the sounds of it I would go with the RE 3.5 kit. If you do go with the RE kit drop wayne at alljeep.com and tell him okcjeeper from L4J sent ya and you will get a solid deal.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I have a 3.5 RE with add a leaf and have almost 40k on the suspension and the add a leafs still hold there arc. Go for a RE or rusty's kit. High quality parts.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ

Don't forget about brakelines.
Anything over 3" you are going to have to consider the travel-slack in your brakelines.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
Don't forget about brakelines.
Anything over 3" you are going to have to consider the travel-slack in your brakelines.
Good call howler I had forgotten about that. Most kits over 3" come with new rear lines..You can use I think YJ lines for the front for added length of buy nice ones.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ

-OR-
If you do not feel like bleeding brakes,
You could use HSP's Brakeline Extender.

I know, I know, shameless plug.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
-OR-
If you do not feel like bleeding brakes,
You could use HSP's Brakeline Extender.

I know, I know, shameless plug.
No worries if I wasn't about to be at 5" I would but I have to use an extened break line no matter what. Shoot yeah that would be a cheap alternative.

Quick Reply: Need lift kit advice!