Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help with transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need help with transmission mount

I am trying to replace my transmission mount, the crossmember has a diagonal brace that connects to the center of the transmission crossmember that runs diagonally to the frame, the diagonal brace bolts are ALL spinning, i know that the center ones have nuts on the other side, don't see any way of accessing those nuts. The other bolt at the end of the frame also spins, would assume there is a nut on the other side, if so, i don't see any possible way of accessing that nut. Need to remove the brace from the crossmember, because that diagonal brace is blocking me from accessing 2 of the 4 bottom bolts of the transmission mount. Has anyone ever done this tranny mount replacement and run into these problems? Don't know what to do, need help!!

TIA

Cherokee Dan
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Hugh...what year ?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Those are nut inserts that are pressed into the crossmember and "frame". You might try wedging a large screwdriver or crowbar between the diagonal t-case skid and the crossmember and try prying them apart while turning the bolt. Sometimes the friction cause by doing this is enough to break the bolt loose and allow it to be removed. Other than that you could cut the head of the bolts off. Once I got mine removed I made a nut insert plate and then welded that to the crossmember so I wouldn't have the problem again.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

That is the transfer case skid. They are usually self-tappers in the rail. But if they are nuts someone installed, you may have to cut the heads off the bolts. Then the crossmember and skid will drop as a unit and the nuts in the rail can be addressed.
Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the responses, Its a 99 5-speed manual, bought it off the original owner, so its unlikely anything has been modified. Cutting the bolts seems easy, but i need more suggestions on making a nut insert plate. Suggestions/pictures would be helpful.

TIA
Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 PM

I got it done! Ended up having to cut the 3 bolts off the t-case skid plate. From there, i was able to access the bottom trans mount bolts, got them off with ease, The old trans mount was a bit worn, but wasn't terrible. Got the new mount in, put the crossmember back in. And i'm just gonna weld the skid plate back in. Haven't had the chance to drive it yet, cuz i'm waiting for some new u-joints to get here. But in the end...it should feel a lot better now! Thanks for all the help guys!