Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help new to this

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need help new to this

Im looking to buy a jeep from this guy for $600. but it has problems of course. this is what he says

Recently the jeep has had engine problems im not a mechanic so im not sure whats going on. When you first start the car it runs fine until it heats up then it goes about 55 mph floored and the hotter the car gets the slower it goes. Also on cold days its hard to start have to put the key in about 2 hours before you want to start it. Been told it’s a ignition switch.

So my question is it worth it? what could that be.

and it needs new tires looks like it has 33's on it where can i find some tires also.

also its 1991 jeep cherokee forgot to add that
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Ignition switch won't cause it to get slower as it get's warmer.

Problem could be anything from a bad ECU to a blown head gasket. Or have a dozen other problems.

If your not looking to drive it right away, offer him $300 for it and take your time and fix it right.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't know about the putting the key in 2 hours ahead of time thing, but I seem to recall someone mentioning a similar problem to the driving issue. They said the problem was a clogged catalytic converter.