Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Need Help!!!!

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L. I recently replaced the cylinder head with an after market one because it had a crack between the 3rd and 4th cylinder. Let me give a little back story:

Right before Thanksgiving, I got gas (about 3/4 qtrs of a tank) and soon after I noticed that the Jeep starting sputtering and the idle was getting rough. I figured I got some bad gas, and so I put Seafoam into the tank and put some Seafoam into the throttle body to help clean things up. The next day, as I am driving into work, I noticed that it was still idling rough....and even go to the point where it got pretty violent. I took it to Precision Tune (bad mistake), and they ran diagnostics on my Jeep. It came up as a cylinder 5 & 6 misfire, and random cylinder misfire. They told me it was the coil pack, so I replaced the plugs and coil pack, and the problem still persisted. So I took it back home, and made some calls and did some research. A friend of mine told me to look into my coolant reservoir and see if I notice bubbles. My coolant was to low, so I filled it up and I immediately saw bubbles in the reservoir. (Note: A month prior, my Jeep overheated, so I replaced the thermostat and during that timeframe, I noticed my coolant was always getting low). That is where I concluded that my head maybe bad. I removed the old head, and I noticed that there was indeed a crack between 3 & 4. I ordered an aftermarket head, and installed it last week. The Jeep started up fine, but the Jeep was still idling rough, and it actually stalled out a couple of times when I drove around my neighborhood (started up with no problems each time it stalled). I looked at the IAC and TPS, and they seem fine. I did notice that there was some ticking coming from the rockers so my friend suggested that I break torque, and retorque the to 21 ft lbs. When I originally torqued them, I torqued them to 25 ft lbs because that was the lowest setting on the torque wrench. He also mentioned that I should have rotated the crank shaft because the cylinders are suppose to be in a certain position when torquing the rockers. I haven't done that yet, but I was goin to replace the spark plugs, and do the oil change anyways. Any advise, suggestions, or comments from anyone will be greatly appreciated......sorry for the long post.