Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default NEED HELP!!!

So while picking up fireworks for today's festivities I heard a rubbing sound coming from the rear of my Jeep. I looked to see what the issue was and found that my rear leafs are completely flat. What should I do to regain a stock height? I was contemplating a bastard pack anyway and just need to get the Jeep up off of the tires. What should I do? A full lift is out of the question as I am broke! This needs to be a repair on the cheap.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Aweber5
So while picking up fireworks for today's festivities I heard a rubbing sound coming from the rear of my Jeep. I looked to see what the issue was and found that my rear leafs are completely flat. What should I do to regain a stock height? I was contemplating a bastard pack anyway and just need to get the Jeep up off of the tires. What should I do? A full lift is out of the question as I am broke! This needs to be a repair on the cheap.

I would suggest an aal like old man emu's. It'll net around 1" and get you off the tires and you can also add it to your bastard pack in the future. It's not super stiff like rough country's and the other AAL's.

I just ordered a pair from Dirk at dpg for $82 shipped.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you see what was rubbing was it the tire or something else as for lifting it up aal will work just get the longest ones you can find such as ome they work alot better or you could get a 1" shackle from the varuious vendors both will cost about the same the shackles are nice because you will be able to keep them if ever do decide to lift it down the road
Old 07-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jd4x426
did you see what was rubbing was it the tire or something else as for lifting it up aal will work just get the longest ones you can find such as ome they work alot better or you could get a 1" shackle from the varuious vendors both will cost about the same the shackles are nice because you will be able to keep them if ever do decide to lift it down the road
I had 2 buddies in the back (roughly 450 lbs) the tire was rubbing on the inner fender and the flare. I was just worried that the flattened leaf setup was not a good place to be in. I was able to jack it up with my hilift and get the spring to return to shape somewhat, however I know that it has sagged severely.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:26 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

I'm getting ready to do a 2.5 lift using stock main leaf from a xj with the towing package.It'll cost you all of 50 bucks at best and a day of wrenching. there are numerous write ups about a "budget lift" and this will be my second time boosting the sagging flat rear leafs in a xj. makes the rear alot more responsive in turns on the road and still leaves good flex for off road...

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...dget_boost.htm

I will also be doing the front too.

Another soluton but I dont recommend it is going for a set of air shocks. They are good if you dont do heavy off road and help alot when you just need to level out the back with a little weight in it.

I would not recommend the shackle lift if your springs are flat already. it will give you the added height but wont cure the cause of the problem.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

I use to have oversized tires on my Jeep with all stock suspension (Was like that when I got it) and the tires were like an inch from the fenders at all times so would rub with any weight or any sudden dips..I wanted to keep the tires so I just got a set of 2" lift blocks from Pep Boys and the longer U-bolts ($25 I think)..Just placed the blocks between the axle and the springs and it was enough to cure any rubbing problems without further modifications.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Year: 2000

if the springs are flat, add leaves that have a good arch to them. dont listen to anybody that tells you to just run a block or a shackle, those by themselves wont help you any
Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Member

I was looking at this aal from pro comp any thoughts?

http://summitracing.com/parts/EXP-13120/

At $35 I don't think I can loose.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

I was looking at this aal from pro comp any thoughts?

http://summitracing.com/parts/EXP-13120/

At $35 I don't think I can loose.
RUN!!!! That's a short AAL and i guarantee you will hate it once you put it on. Pro-comp doesn't factor ride quality into their springs, hence the reason their spring rates are so freakin high. Your sagging springs will sag at the ends of the AAL and they will end up looking like a "W". Look for a long AAL like the ones Rubicon Express and Old Man Emu sells.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

I just went out and looked at the rear leaf springs on my 94 Cherokee and they are basically what I would call "flat" as well as they go pretty much straight across from the front bolt to the rear bolt..But I still have a good 4 inches between the top of my standard 235 tires and the lip of the fender
Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Seasoned Member

I'll try to get a pic up today.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Anyone heard anything good, bad or otherwise on black diamond aal?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Member

as promised.... looking at the pics the rear seems to be just a little low, most likely the rubbing was due to the previously mentioned payload
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

i had to change my suspension mainly because i weigh 340lbs and a two of my friends from work one is like 350lbs and the other is 450lbs so before i changed my springs they used to reverse when we rode in my jeep
Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
CF Veteran

as promised.... looking at the pics the rear seems to be just a little low, most likely the rubbing was due to the previously mentioned payload
It does look a bit low in the back but not terrible..Maybe because you have the 30 x 9.5s on it you got the rubbing under load..As I mentioned my leafs look "flat" also and when I had the larger tires on my stock suspension 1994 I always got rubbing with weight in the rear..Now that I run just the 235`s that`s gone away.