Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Narrowing it down to a shift solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Narrowing it down to a shift solenoid

Alright, so friday on the way home from work on a stretch of state route, the jeep jumped up a couple hundred RPM and the CEL came on. Code read P0758, for the Shift Solenoid B.

Got to the gast station, filled it up, and checked the tranny fluid (i have a slight leak in the return line) it was a little low so i topped it off. When i left to go back to tosn it was fine, but the CEL was still on.

Once i got to town and came to a stop i noticed that it was staying in 4th gear or so. it wouldnt kill the engine when you leave from a stop but it was definitely ******* down until it got some speed. Placing the shifter down into 1-2 does shift it to there.

the rest of the night after making the stops i had to make, i would notice that it actually seemed to run fine on short trips, ie from the mall to the restaurant to the booze shop, ect. on longer trips once it had more time to warm up is when it would 'stick'.

Current codes are for p0758 and P0700, the latter of which i just assume is the generic 'hey something isnt working right' transmission code.

My question is, in this case, is it pretty cut-and-dried that its the solenoid, or should i still check the NSS and TPS first?

Is there a disadvantage to just changing all three solenoids at once?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Take a look at this thread I posted a while ago when I was having shifting issues. It'll help walk you through some electrical tests you can do to eliminate a few other variables before you drop the pan and replace the solenoids. I ended up having a bad solenoid, and I replaced all three. It's run like a champ ever since.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/doe...-legit-195669/
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

I need to get a new multimeter for sure. Maybe the TPS IS in the fritz, but idk since it isn't throwing a TPS code.

This morning after the jeep sat all weekend, it started fine but "started" at about 2k before steadily but quickly slowing down to a 'normal' idle speed. Jeep drove fine all the way to work but the CEL was still on, didn't think to check to see if a code had changed.

Actually now that I think of it, she HAS been idling a bit odd for about a month... Sometimes it seems like it would idle at about 1000rpm instead of about 750ish. So I guess I should check that.

I'd just figure if the TPS was being naughty it would throw the TPS code.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

TPS wont always throw a code. I have a similar thing going on with my trans now. Im going to try a fluid drain and fill an see if that helps then on to checking the solenoids.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

So on the way home yesterday, due to a storm taking down a power line I had to take a half hour detor. At the last little town before my house it was stuck in 4th at the stop light, but after pulling into the store and leaving, it was in 4th again when I left the parking lot. Then on the road and at 2 further lights and a hill pull, as well as turning around and backing into my driveway, it was fine.

Going to try and grab a multimeter tonight
Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Member

So as an update, I did get a multimeter (free one from Harbor Freight) but haven't had a chance to use it yet on the TPS or anything else.

The Jeep has been driving fine this week. Sometimes the CEL would t even be on. It's on at the moment but shifting fine.

Very odd. I'll try and check the TPS this weekend. If that checks out I'll probably move to just replace the solenoids.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

If you end up doing the solenoids... check out Cascade Transmission. I bought their set off Ebay awhile back. All 3 solenoids, new gasket, and filter. Was only like $75 and has been performing well for me. I've got probably 5k miles on them so far.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks tacklebox, I saw you mentioned that in another thread and I have their solenoid kit on standby if I turn out to need it.

However, the Jeep has not acted up whatsoever and has driven fine for about two weeks now with no CEL or funny shifting since then. Idk what to think.