Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Mystery power draw draining battery-power door locks??

Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Mystery power draw draining battery-power door locks??

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport

There is a problem with my power door locks - they lock and unlock constantly and continuously. This started about a year ago, and I pulled the fuse to make it stop. I replaced all the wires that go from the switches in the driver door to inside the car, as some were damaged. That did not fix the problem.

So, several months ago while trying to figure out the lock problem I opened up the driver and passenger doors. Apparently I bent the metal rods that make the locks work, and could not get them to lock with the key after that.

Over the weekend I opened up the doors to try to get them to lock with the key. Just to see what would happen I put the fuse back in for the power locks, and they went nuts locking and unlocking. There was also a loud whirring sound from inside the doors. I tried unplugging the receiver above the dome light and the locks went quiet. Plugged it back in and they went nuts. And for some reason the dome light turned on and will not turned off, so I unplugged it. I left the car with the receiver unplugged, dome light unplugged, and the fuse in. Next day the battery was dead. I thought maybe leaving the fuse in had something to do with it. Pulled the fuse. Charged the battery. Battery was dead the next day. The battery is only two months old. I checked the wires for the dome light plug for a short, and did not see any problem.

So, I'm lost. The power door lock system is disabled because the fuse is out and the receiver is unplugged. The dome light is unplugged. How do I figure out what is draining the battery?

I replaced the radiator about ten days ago, but I don't see how that could be related to this problem.

Last edited by Cameron58; 04-01-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You can give this a try.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 PM

That's a helpful video, but there is not enough of an explanation of how to use the wiring diagram to find the exact cause of the power draw once the problem circuit has been discovered.

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron58
That's a helpful video, but there is not enough of an explanation of how to use the wiring diagram to find the exact cause of the power draw once the problem circuit has been discovered.
Once I find the fuse that stops the draw I'll put the fuse back and start disconnecting things powered by that fuse one by one until the draw stops. The wiring diagram will tell you which items those are.