Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Jeep Cherokee shuts off randomly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My Jeep Cherokee shuts off randomly?

I've been coming to this forum for years and successfully repairing my jeep and enjoying the community, but finally I decided to create an account and create a post because I am truly stumped. I need help.

My 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Inline6 2wd shuts off randomly while driving about 20 minutes or so, and will crank fine but will not turn on till about another 10 minutes, then will shut off again very shortly and need another 10 minute break or so and repeat till I crawl into the driveway.

The vehicle does not overheat. when it does turn on its healthy for the most part. the battery is new, I think the problem is either fuel/air mix? or possibly computer unit? I have a missing breather hose also.

I have no idea where to begin, what questions should I be asking?

Thank you,

-C
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

missing breather hose also.
part of pvc? you might start by normalizing that.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

That's a classic CPS (Crank Position Sensor) symptom. I'm not saying that IS the problem, but it's the first thing to consider.

When it dies and won't start, do you have spark? That's the first thing you need to test. If you don't have a spark tester, pick one up. They are both cheap and invaluable.

If you find you don't have spark, next thing to check is whether or not you have pulsed 12v going into the coil. There's a quick disconnect connector there. You'll need to put a meter (an analog meter would work best for this, but a digital meter will do) or test light across both terminals, and have someone try to start the engine while you watch the meter or test light. Mind the fan and belts! You probably like your fingers well enough to want to keep them.

If you don't have a meter, get one! Even a ten buck Harbor Freight unit will do.

Start there and let us know.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Skycru
I've been coming to this forum for years and successfully repairing my jeep and enjoying the community, but finally I decided to create an account and create a post because I am truly stumped. I need help.

My 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Inline6 2wd shuts off randomly while driving about 20 minutes or so, and will crank fine but will not turn on till about another 10 minutes, then will shut off again very shortly and need another 10 minute break or so and repeat till I crawl into the driveway.

The vehicle does not overheat. when it does turn on its healthy for the most part. the battery is new, I think the problem is either fuel/air mix? or possibly computer unit? I have a missing breather hose also.

I have no idea where to begin, what questions should I be asking?

Thank you,

-C
Check Ignition Coil. Mine did same
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Any pending codes?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Kogulanathan Kasinadan
Check Ignition Coil. Mine did same

Yep. Hence the recommendation to check for spark, then check to see if the coil is getting 12v to it.