Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

My headlights randomly flicker off and on

Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default My headlights randomly flicker off and on

Okay guys im completly stumped on this one. Ever since i bought my XJ about 4 months ago, my headlights have flickered off and on. Not all the time but about every five minutes they will go into a spat of flickering and ill have to turn them off and back on to get the back to normal. Ive checked the battery connections and changed them not it. Its not the switch. so im completly clueless as to what it is. a short maybe? where do i look? I have been having some problems with my alternator, it wouldnt recharge my battery properly when i hade my subs hooked up. but now that i disconnected them no problems have occured. could it be the alternator? Thanks in advance
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Have your alternator / battery checked. If that is ok check the wiring under the air box under the hood on the left side. Check the connector there for corrosion/short etc.
Good luck
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by captainwoot
Have your alternator / battery checked. If that is ok check the wiring under the air box under the hood on the left side. Check the connector there for corrosion/short etc.
Good luck
Thanks bud ive checked both and they are good. Ill check the connector
Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

it is more than likely your head light switch. I have had this problem on two of my Cherokees and this is what solved the problem. Easy fix if you have small hands..
Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 PM

I think i found the problem, i looked under the air box and there is a connector bung and the female side of the connector has some white residue/carbon build up and it looks like it is pretty fouled. i had a little radiator leak near the cap that i have fixed. could the radiator fluid dropping on it fouled it? Its in the same place where the fluid was dripping. The connector runs to the headlight so i assume this is the right connector?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

anybody?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Year: 94
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

if that header panel connector is clean inside check your headlight switch over real good. they will get a burnt terminal and that can do what you are describing also with your lights on wiggle the harness at the switch and up front.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mopwrd340
if that header panel connector is clean inside check your headlight switch over real good. they will get a burnt terminal and that can do what you are describing also with your lights on wiggle the harness at the switch and up front.
There was a connector near the header panel that i checked. but the one im talking about is laying right next to the air box
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 PM

This same thing just happened to my 94 XJ and it was the headlight switch in the dash. Save yourself the headache and just replace it now its only 20 bucks.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by kyleag89
This same thing just happened to my 94 XJ and it was the headlight switch in the dash. Save yourself the headache and just replace it now its only 20 bucks.
I really dont think its the switch, becuase its not like it only does it when im driving and hitting bumps and stuff it does it when i have the jeep off and the headlight switch on too. did yours do that? and also i tried to wiggle the switch and it didnt do it
Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Yes, it would do it whenever you turn the lights on running or not. I removed the switch and could see one of the terminals was slightly dis-colored so I replaced it and problem solved. Pop the switch out it only takes 5 mins and take a good look at the terminals.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by ACCoffroad
There was a connector near the header panel that i checked. but the one im talking about is laying right next to the air box
i would pull the connector apart and clean as best i could then test drive ,if no change move to head light switch
Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Thanks guys, could you tell me how i remove the switch?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors
Default should tell you here

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

That connector by the driver side front of air box is a very common failure point in the electrical. I/ve had mine bridge power across and go into melt down. I reconnected the wires individually. Do a double check on that area.
To remove the headlite switch is a pita, to pull the plunger you have to push a pin up into a hole at the bottom rear of the switch, this releases the clip holding the plunger. With the plunger out you can unscrew the locking nut holding the switch on the dash. Then fight it out around the brace rods in behind the dash and finally unplug the wire connector. New unit at Napa runs $60 here. I suggest removing the cover of the instrument panel (dash cover only, not the instruments) to let you shine some light in and get a partial view of what's happening back there as you remove/reinstall the switch. Might as well cuss several times before you start just to get that out of the way and then get to it. It is a pita but beleive me, better than the dash meltdown (could smell it comin on) 3hrs from home at midnight in December when the old dimmer reostat coil fails and you loose all your headlights and have to do a paperclip mcgiver on the side of the road. Now that was fun. Better to check both areas now. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My headlights randomly flicker off and on