Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My first 3000 miles: now some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6
Default My first 3000 miles: now some questions

I bought my 2001 4Dr Sport with 51,000 miles on it mid-June, now I'm beyond 54,000 and with that experience have a few questions. I'll say that this is a daily driver for work that involves tons of highway miles plus some actual requirement to go off road. I think the usage pattern - about 2000 total miles a month and including maybe 100 on two track trails, alongside farm fields, rock strewn logging roads, things like that. No bouldering or the like.

First of all, the vehicle is just great. I am really happy I bought it, but I do want to tweak things a bit. So though I got some answers searching the forum archives, I still have a few questions:

1) I did an oil/filter change at 3,000 miles, but where can I find a comprehensive maintenance list? Though low mileage, I did not get service records with the vehicle and would like to go through the whole thing and then get onto a regular schedule.

2) I'd feel a little more comfortable off the pavement with a bit of lift, skid plates, hooks, switching to my favorite tire - BFG AT K/Os, and a full sized spare. Essentially, I'd like to more-or-less duplicate the Upcountry package, but just as important I do not want to do anything that would upset highway handling and ride - lets face it, most of my time in my XJ is spent at speed. I've found a bewildering variety in 1.5" - 2" lift kits, from $100 simple spacer/shackle setups to $800 all new spring/shock kits with saybar disconnects. I'd really appreciate your opinions on how to go on this.

3) I've got a little bit of vibration at about 55 mph. Should I be worrying about drivetrain issues or just start with a tire balance?

4) I've posted a photo for your enjoyment, but to also ask a specific question: what alloy wheels are those? I want to buy an identical fifth one for the spare, so I can rotate all five tires and keep wear even.

Thanks much!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Cant read I dont want to keep scrolling over to read this. SORRY