Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is my Cherokee done for? ;-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Is my Cherokee done for? ;-(

Hi all. I'm very new here and never posted on a forum before, so please bare with my rantings (sorry but I'm on my last knuckle...will explain).
First off, I need badly!
I have a 1991 Cherokee (I think it's a Sport), 4.0, Auto Trans, 300,000 miles, that I absolutely love! I've had it for 8 years now, but through circumstances beyond my control, haven't been able to maintain it proper as I should. I've put a few parts on it of course that it needed when it gave out, but not the usual preventive maintenance routine that it should have (feel very guilty too). But, it all started 2 years ago with it just up and dying while driving, which led to a couple of sticky situations. But then other weird things started happening that made me think my precious was possessed, and even asked a friend if he knew of a Priest that could help. He just looked around the corner at it, shook his head and said that it's nothing that a can of gas and a lighter wouldn't fix.

So, months went by with the weird things still happening. However, just recently it took itself into another realm of weird that's getting into the dangerous mode. I'm still shaking from it. Of course it still dies while driving, sometimes coming back on by itself, but most times not. And sometimes it will stall, shake, backfire, sounds like its missing pistons, and smells like raw gas too.

In addition to that, the headlights went out. As in, when you pull the light switch on they don't come on, but, if I pull the dimmer switch back, the lights will come on...very brightly I might add. I just have to hold it back to have lights though (the low beams and high beams both work, which is the weird part).

Now here is where I'm still shaking in my boots. I had all 3 grandchildren in there with me when the thing just up and quit on the highway, while trying to hold the lights on, and trying to start it at the same time, hence the knuckles, they were white as a sheet!
Note: This was an emergency situation otherwise I wouldn't have had them in there, their mother was in the hospital and I had to take them home with me. But I need to fix it somehow, someway, as I'm going to be having them with me for a whole month. Please help!
Thank you!

Editing this to say, that what made me think it was possessed, was that while driving down the highway, the tach and speedo would
just all of a sudden quit. As if the vehicle was turned off, but the vehicle would still be running just fine. The radio would also
go off, then cut back on. But it didn't affect the lights, nor anything else electrical. It did this a LOT, then the other major problems I
mentioned above (vehicle shutting off) started happening a few months later.

Additional editing to say that when it cuts off I've checked to see if it has fire or not, and sometimes it does, other times it doesn't.
So other than a new coil which I just replaced last summer, what other issue might cause that?
Thank you!

Last edited by GrannyX3; 07-02-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Use "Miracle Miles", exhaust additive, to extend mileage to 600,000 miles.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 AM

i don't even understand your question but if your junks acting like junk its time to fix your junk not keep driving it, making it actual junk.

i would personally start by checking your throttle position sensor, and for vacuum leaks.

I'm assuming the headlights is an unrelated issue.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:26 AM

Year: 1999

Granny, the only easy answer here is to rule out demonic possession. Automobiles need to be maintained. Yours has not been. The best place to start with your Jeep is somewhere, and although the time to start was two years ago, now will have to do. If you have no tools or skills, find someone near you who does and let him or her start chasing down the problems.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

I say this with all the love in my heart:

If you can't take care of it, get something else.

I love these things but they REQUIRE lots of love and attention. If you can't do it yourself it will very quickly become too expensive to make sense. Before you go and spend a couple grand for a mechanic to chase down what is likely a bad ground or bad cps, go get something newer.

And your headlight switch is bad, but by continuing to run with it you've probably burned out the connector, too.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Sounds like the multifunction switch is bad if the lights come on when pulling it. Multifunction switch is the one with the lever for high low and signals. Not very expensive or hard to change. Check the 02 sensors for sure. Idle air control maybe dirty too.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Waynerd
Sounds like the multifunction switch is bad if the lights come on when pulling it. Multifunction switch is the one with the lever for high low and signals. Not very expensive or hard to change. Check the 02 sensors for sure. Idle air control maybe dirty too.
Thank you! :-)
That sounds exactly what the problem is.

Also, someone told me it could be the CPS causing it to cut off. But, since it smells like gas when it cuts off, could it be the fuel regulator overloading or getting to hot? When it dies, it just cuts off with no warning.

Thank you again!
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by wizardpc
I say this with all the love in my heart:

If you can't take care of it, get something else.

I love these things but they REQUIRE lots of love and attention. If you can't do it yourself it will very quickly become too expensive to make sense. Before you go and spend a couple grand for a mechanic to chase down what is likely a bad ground or bad cps, go get something newer.

And your headlight switch is bad, but by continuing to run with it you've probably burned out the connector, too.

Before two years ago, it rarely needed any attention, just the usual fluid changes and normal maintenance (spark plugs, etc). It was an old Forest Service vehicle and was pretty well maintained (motor-wise, body was another story lol). But this Jeep has been the best vehicle I've EVER owned, period! Including the one I had when I was a teenager. It's like a tank on steroids! No way I'd give it up, even if I could.

Life is not always fair nor just, thus I've been cursed with tragedy after tragedy in my life, and this latest one has probably been the hardest one to take and bear. I'm not at liberty to discuss it, as it involves one of my grandchildren, but suffice to say it left me not only heartbroken, but broke from all the countless doctors and lawyers. Not only that, but I have MS that has limited my ability to work like a dog as I used to.

So I don't have a choice whether to get something new or better.
I have to make do with what I have, and fix it the best way I can. I grew up with 3 brothers and 4 male cousins who's whole life centered around building racecars, so I'm not a dummy when it comes to vehicles. I was just as black from grease as they were, and have the resulting scars to prove it. It's the newfangled electronics that stumps me, I'm used to carbs and points and such. While raising my children, I got out of working on cars and haven't had the need since, but now I have to do it out of necessity.

Thus I can't just run out and buy every part in the world and replace it, hoping that's the problem. I've got to know exactly what part it is, and whether I can afford it. I also live in the country where it's like 60 miles to the nearest parts store, so I have to make it count, and that's why I'm on here asking for advice and some helpful answers, not condemnation from
what seems to be well meaning advisers.

Have a great day!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by GrannyX3
Thus I can't just run out and buy every part in the world and replace it, hoping that's the problem. I've got to know exactly what part it is, and whether I can afford it. I also live in the country where it's like 60 miles to the nearest parts store, so I have to make it count, and that's why I'm on here asking for advice and some helpful answers, not condemnation from
what seems to be well meaning advisers.
We can only help you if you ask specific questions, and give us detailed information. So far your questions and information have been somewhat vague. We cannot help you if you suspect demonic possession. Coming here asking for helpful answers requires effort on your end to do your homework and communicate details to us. Until then all we can do is suggest a handful of parts and nebulous solutions.

Go get a chiltons or Haynes manual. Better yet, buy a pdf copy of the factory service manual for your year model. Pay attention to things that might be happening before it cuts out or smells like gas. Replace your headlight switch and upgrade to a 12 volt headlight system so you don't burn out the new switch.

If it is dangerous to drive and smells gassy in the cabin, stop driving it!! I realize and sympathize with your tough situation but that is no excuse to endanger yourself, your grandchildren, and everyone else on the road.

Be prepared to start caring for your vehicle and putting some money into it. This forum is filled with smart and experienced folks who are happy and ready to help you. We like helping those who help themselves and do not shy away from tough love.

Now go pop the hood and start looking at things and playing around with it to see if you can't come up with the circumstances which lead it to cut out on you. Try others suggestions from earlier. Report back your findings. We will get this figured out and have you back on the road!
Old 07-04-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 L

Ma'am, Headlight problem.
had same thing happen.....

headlight switch is bad,,

but.....what causes it to go bad is this...........

at the front of the Jeep in the engine compartment, underneath the "AIRBOX"

(where the air-filter sits in)

in front of the COmputer ( the black wierdshaped thingy bolted up to the side of the wall there)....is a wiring harness which is the "MAIN" connector for your headlights and parking and turn signals.......

this needs to be checked for corrosion. I mean each and every pin of the connector,, it is probably overamping because the corrosion is shorting connections out...mine had soooo much green stuff on it ( result of copper oxidizing ) and with headlights on that connector felt like it was a million degrees!!!!!

Once that connector is clean or replaced ( get a good place/shop/mechanic to fix for you) as it is is dirty, hard, tedious work......if you are a fairly competent wrench you can clean both sides of the connector pins & sockets with micro wire brush/ file etc and some "contact cleaner spray" ( course, disconnect battery when using the spray).

once that connector is clean, with the headlights on, that connector should only be warm to the touch to hold in your hand. not surface of the sun hot like mine was!

the CUTTING OUT of the engine is like due to clogged fuel filter.....

or.....CPS....(Crankshaft Position Sensor)

or.....fuel pump going bad. (might have some serious contaminant in fuel tank causing pump to be blocked up at certain times).

I have a 91 also so I know what you are going through.

check these things, or have someone you trust who works on cars check these for you....

good luck and god bless!

cpnwrench

cheers
Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you've grease monkeyied (probably not a real word) before, than something as east and cheap as checking and cleaning the grounds shouldn't be too hard. It's a good place to start as far as maintenance goes. These jeeps specifically need those grounds. There are many posts offering directions, but I might suggest going directly to Cruiser54's website for pictures. Loosen and pull off a bolt or nut. Clean it with a wire brush or brillo pad. Put it back on. I have my kids do it to mine. Main gist... you have to make some time to make sure you don't lose time, sitting on the side of the road.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hi Granny. My apology's on behalf of the forum. Their are other forums for the kids to talk trash. Here we do really try to help. CPN knows stuff, but I'd go directly to the switch. If there is more trouble THEN chase it down.

The tack would stop if the puter' wasn't getting a good signal from the CPS. If it were a clogged fuel filter I think the tack would still work. (as it died)

Get someone to look at that headlight switch, I bet the plug looks melted.

Get a different CPS. Oem from a wrecker might be better than what a big box might sell you. Or at least go with Napa. (or Mopar)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Hi Granny. My apology's on behalf of the forum. Their are other forums for the kids to talk trash. Here we do really try to help. CPN knows stuff, but I'd go directly to the switch. If there is more trouble THEN chase it down.

The tack would stop if the puter' wasn't getting a good signal from the CPS. If it were a clogged fuel filter I think the tack would still work. (as it died)

Get someone to look at that headlight switch, I bet the plug looks melted.

Get a different CPS. Oem from a wrecker might be better than what a big box might sell you. Or at least go with Napa. (or Mopar)

Thank you very much, I appreciate that! :-)

You know, that's EXACTLY what made me think it was possessed. lol
The tach and the speedo would just all of a sudden fall like a rock
while I was driving down the road, but the Jeep never shut off.
It kept running, along with the radio and everything else (radio did start going off though later on).
Then after a while, it'd jump back up and be normal. This didn't happen
every time I drove it, just every now and then it would act crazy like that.

After about a year however, that's when it started dying. Sometimes it starts right back up, but then other times I have to pull of to the side of the road and sit there a while cranking it. Sometimes it smells like raw gas as I said, but other times it doesn't. I swear it acts like it's got a carb,
the way they act up. But I've checked every wire and connector I can get to and it all seems pretty normal. I've even jiggled the CPS wires!

Now that you mention it, I will watch closely when it dies again and see
if the tach and speedo go off. Thank you!

Also, I think the headlight problem has to do with the dimmer switch.
I was checking it out today, and when I pull the dimmer switch back,
it doesn't stay in position as it's supposed to. So I'm going to pull the
column off tomorrow and check it out.

Thank you again!!!
:-)

Last edited by GrannyX3; 07-06-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by cpnwrench

Ma'am, Headlight problem.
had same thing happen.....

headlight switch is bad,,

but.....what causes it to go bad is this...........

at the front of the Jeep in the engine compartment, underneath the "AIRBOX"

(where the air-filter sits in)

in front of the COmputer ( the black wierdshaped thingy bolted up to the side of the wall there)....is a wiring harness which is the "MAIN" connector for your headlights and parking and turn signals.......

this needs to be checked for corrosion. I mean each and every pin of the connector,, it is probably overamping because the corrosion is shorting connections out...mine had soooo much green stuff on it ( result of copper oxidizing ) and with headlights on that connector felt like it was a million degrees!!!!!

Once that connector is clean or replaced ( get a good place/shop/mechanic to fix for you) as it is is dirty, hard, tedious work......if you are a fairly competent wrench you can clean both sides of the connector pins & sockets with micro wire brush/ file etc and some "contact cleaner spray" ( course, disconnect battery when using the spray).

once that connector is clean, with the headlights on, that connector should only be warm to the touch to hold in your hand. not surface of the sun hot like mine was!

the CUTTING OUT of the engine is like due to clogged fuel filter.....

or.....CPS....(Crankshaft Position Sensor)

or.....fuel pump going bad. (might have some serious contaminant in fuel tank causing pump to be blocked up at certain times).

I have a 91 also so I know what you are going through.

check these things, or have someone you trust who works on cars check these for you....

good luck and god bless!

cpnwrench

cheers

Hi there! :-)

I just checked all the wires and connectors the day after that happened.
Didn't find anything out of the ordinary. No corrosion or anything, it's
pretty clean for as old as it is. Like I told someone else, I'm starting to
believe it's the dimmer switch causing this. When I pull the dimmer switch back, it doesn't catch and hold like its supposed to.

As for it cutting off, I've replaced the fuel filter and the pump right
after it started cutting out. Replaced the oil filter, air filter, new
spark plugs, new wires, new coil too when I noticed it wasn't getting any fire when trying to start it after it cut off. Still have this problem too
when it cuts off while driving. It could for sure be the CPS, but since reading up on the CPS and how to test it, mine seems to be ok.
I'm beginning to believe what another person suggested that it's the
fuel regulator getting too hot, overloading itself and causing it to shut down. Might also be the reason I smell gas at times too.

And your right about that tank, it could very well have something in there.
Been suspecting that for a while now, when it first started cutting off.
About the same time someone broke into it too.

Anyway, thank you so very much!
I'll check those connectors again too!
Have a great day!
:-)
Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by NM-XJ
We can only help you if you ask specific questions, and give us detailed information. So far your questions and information have been somewhat vague. We cannot help you if you suspect demonic possession. Coming here asking for helpful answers requires effort on your end to do your homework and communicate details to us. Until then all we can do is suggest a handful of parts and nebulous solutions.

Go get a chiltons or Haynes manual. Better yet, buy a pdf copy of the factory service manual for your year model. Pay attention to things that might be happening before it cuts out or smells like gas. Replace your headlight switch and upgrade to a 12 volt headlight system so you don't burn out the new switch.

If it is dangerous to drive and smells gassy in the cabin, stop driving it!! I realize and sympathize with your tough situation but that is no excuse to endanger yourself, your grandchildren, and everyone else on the road.

Be prepared to start caring for your vehicle and putting some money into it. This forum is filled with smart and experienced folks who are happy and ready to help you. We like helping those who help themselves and do not shy away from tough love.

Now go pop the hood and start looking at things and playing around with it to see if you can't come up with the circumstances which lead it to cut out on you. Try others suggestions from earlier. Report back your findings. We will get this figured out and have you back on the road!

The demonic possession thing was a joke (which it seems no one can take anymore). However, I really did ask a mechanic friend the question about a Priest, and that really is what he replied lol. But to the rest of us in the vehicle a 'ghost in the machine' seemed pretty real when the tach and speedo would just instantly fall like a rock and everything else was working just fine. And that's how all the problems first started.

Yes, I did have a manual for it, but someone borrowed it and never returned it. Can't afford to get another. And I DO care about my vehicle, but I don't have the extra $ to throw into it right now... you can't get blood from a turnip!!! I have a handicapped husband who needs special care, and I'm currently taking care of 3 grandchildren while their mother is in the hospital. When she gets out, I can go back to my job of roofing, as that's what I do for a living, and lately that's slowed down because people aren't spending like they used to. And there are some days I can barely climb a ladder because I have MS and hurt like crazy! I also have 8 ruptured discs in my back due to falling off said ladder from some nitwit who grabbed it, before looking to see if someone was on it or not!

So please don't counsel me on my finances, as right now I have none to counsel with!!! I also can't haul 3 grandchildren on my back and hoof it 60+ miles to the store, nor could I magically craft a Flintstone car (with any durability)! I also don't have relatives close by, nor neighbors young enough to lend a hand, all mine are real old folks (who ask me to bring groceries to them). So I'm on my own in this mess, and in time I'll be able to afford to take care of all of it, just not right now. All I can do now is find junkyard parts to fix it with, but I needed to narrow it down to the exact things I need, which I'm pretty sure I have from the great help I've gotten on here.

Thank you and have a great day!

Quick Reply: Is my Cherokee done for? ;-(