Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Cherokee is CHRISTINE - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Cherokee is CHRISTINE - Please help!

I am having a problem with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Let me give you a little history....I was driving around a couple of weeks ago with the a/c on. For some reason the air started blowing outside air temperature. Later when I turned the car back on the air was working fine - blowing nice and cold, but when I returned home the car had this horrible burning smell which at the time I thought had something to do with the earlier a/c incident of the air not blowing cold. I took it in to the mechanic the next day and they looked it over and could not find a problem. The next day I was driving the car and it started making a noise - the best way to describe it is to think about a bicycle with a baseball card flapping on the bicycle wheel spokes. I immediately took it back in to the mechanic and of course the car didn't make any more noise and there was no burning smell. They kept the car for a couple of days and drove it around and had no issues with the air, the burning smell or the noise. They did do a further search of the a/c system and said that it probably needs freon and that something simple in the a/c (I think it was a condenser switch maybe) needed to be replaced, but said that they were more concerned about the noise I described to them and that it had nothing to do with the a/c. They were suggesting things like wheel bearings might need replacing or the differential plates needing lubrication or something. They told me they didn't want to replace anything until they knew for sure b/c it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack and could get real expensive. So I've been driving it for the past week with no issues with strange noises or smells until tonight. Now I'm not hearing any noises but when I drove it this evening I had to get some things out of the back seat on the passengers side and I once again smelled the burning smell. I immediately dropped to the ground and started sniffing around under the back of the car and it seems that this burning smell is coming for the back rear passenger's side. I really don't want to get rid of my Jeep but I seem to be having alot of little problems lately - nothing expensive just annoying. Has anyone ever experienced this - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don't understand why I the smell comes and goes and why it doesn't smell when I take it to the mechanic. This car is in my head and stressing me out.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM

Since it only seems to happen when the AC is on, I'd suspect a bad blower motor (fan), especially since you mention the occasional noise. Motors can get bad segments on the commutator and when the motor stops in the bad position, it overheats, etc. I would not suspect the AC itself because the compressor is engine driven, not electric, and when the freon gets low the safety (pressure) switch trips and doesn't allow the electric clutch to engage. So the AC just doesnt work. BUT......
with that in mind, my '91 had a similar episode several years ago (hot smell) and I traced it down to the resistor under the right front dash for the blower. The connectors had actually melted. I disconnected it (the resistor) and now the blower works fine (high only). I don't know if your wiring is the same but it's worth a shot.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 PM

I'd take a second look and check the rear brake on the passenger side. sounds like it might be hanging up occasionly. as for the ac you got me, mines an 87 and i just roll down the windows.