Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my case of, you guessed it, death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default my case of, you guessed it, death wobble

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself to start, new to Jeeps and of course CherokeeForum. I run a mostly-stock 96 xj, and by that I mean I have not done any work to it, but some parts in the suspension look 'new.' Live in hell itself, Phx, AZ.

I've got a case of death wobble that sets in about 55mph, which to my surprise is even more so now that the front passenger tire is new... . After approximately 60+ the wobble dies down.

Looked under for any fresh metal that is rubbing, but I see none. Haven't had a chance to get someone to twist the wheel for me while watching for any loose movement. The sway bar links look horribly rusted, as well as some components behind the wheel (U-joint?) Will post pics soon.

One last thing, my mechanical expertise doesn't go much further than changing oil and brakes, so go easy on me with the acronyms and parts. And I'm flat broke pretty much always. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L straight Six

Welcome to the site...

If you are getting a wabble at those speeds, it is more then likely a tire balance issue. Especially if you only replace ONE tire. Both tires should be replaced at the same time. But I would move the tires to the rear yourself to see if the problem settles, and if it is a tire balanceing issue, you will then feel the vibration from behind you. If the problem still persists, then I would look into bearings, u-joints or any of the other moving parts up there....
Old 06-15-2011, 01:53 PM

That's what I've read, about the balancing. I asked the guy at the tire shop (which wasn't a purchase I was planning on) and said that would rule out that tire, but I guess didn't bother to balance the other when I asked them to look at it... and ironically enough, I do have 2 new tires, I had to get one a few months ago as well. It's just on the drivers rear. I hear where you feel the vibrations makes a difference, and I neglected to mention when it sets in the wheel doesn't play, but comes up my leg from the accelerator, and feel it most in my knee. IDK if that makes any difference, but more info out there will help this sooner I suppose.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Your front drivetrain is also always turning.... I would get under and take a peek at where the front driveshaft connects to the axle. You may be right, it may be a u-joint... and no reason this should happen to you....LOL

Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Checked the driveshaft U joint, no movement in it, and doesn't look rusted at all, its greased over.

Now here's a tough one.

How do I get this off? Using 3/4 sheared the head off the stupid aluminum cap. First thing Friday I'm buying new lugnuts. These things suck. Getting an 18mm socket hopefully tomorrow from a friend.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Glad I am not the only one.... in doing my flares this weekend, I actually broke two of those stupid things... and mine are aftermarket....LOL....

But I still think we are looking at a tire balance issue bud...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Ya, no telling till I switch some tires around which is going to have to wait until Friday its looking. I was looking at your build thread, love it. Since the passenger front is new, should I just be able to swap my driver side tires to tell? My driver rear is just a few months old.
I'm ok with a tire balance issue, helps the wallet a lot.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM

If it is the tire you had put on that is out of balance, then it will still wable, I would move both front tires to the back and backs to the fronnt, just to see myself.... however, since you cannot get it off, then it may as well wait until you can on friday.

Thank you for the compliment on my build thread....
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

With DW. I always say start with the least expensive and obvious first. Tire pressure, Balanced, etc. In your case. If you have just 1 new tire alone. I can see that being a issue.
If that fails. Check if bolts are tight. Then check tie rod ends. Then maybe a alignment.
I usually nip my DW in the butt with that check list alone.
If your getting coupling in the tires themselves. That too can cause it. Which means you need to buy new tires. Unless you drive slow.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:03 PM

Would a new tire be unbalanced? Maybe I just don't understand what exactly the term means. The mechanic said they check everything but that doesn't mean its really followed through. . .
The Jeep wobbled before this new tire as well, just seems it's worse now, or at least more consistent.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM

It wabbled before? Well then it could be in the steering and allignement. Adding a fresh new treaded tire on an axles, paired with an older one with wear, will amplify an already existing problem....

As for teh balancing, those weights come off so easy it seems, they could have been right when installed, and fallen off, OR it is your other tire that is causing this issue....
Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

1 new tire alone will/can cause DW. Sure. A brand new tire could be off balance. If the knuckle head that installed it balanced it wrong. Which I have had happen. Different kinda car though.
So lets say your stock tire has a effective diameter of 28inches. But you have lets say 30,000 miles on those tires. The effective diameter has now changed, due to wear/mileage. Now throw 1 new tire into those 3 tires with 30,000 miles. The old tires could be not balanced.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM

This is the biggest reason that on a 4x4 vehicle, especially with straight axles, it is always a good idea to replace both tires on each axle at the same time....
Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Ya, I'd love to replace them in sets, but just doesn't fit my budget and the tires I did replace weren't planned for. Live in a ****ty neighborhood so seems junks in the road. Will update when I swap the tires.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Year: 88 & 93
Engine: 4.0

Is that pic a stripped lug nut? If so your local parts houses carry lug removal sockets. Cost me $14. Came with three sizes. Got mine at Oreilly. Took the messed up lug nut right off

Quick Reply: my case of, you guessed it, death wobble