Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Murphy's Law

Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Murphy's Law

My CEL lit-up a few days ago. The DTC was P0340. In the back of my mind I knew that the aftermarket crank position sensor from 4 months ago was about to give-up. The idle was only a little rough and mileage had dropped down by as much as 4mpgs but there was no stalling and barely any power loss. I cleared the code and figured "if it's real it will show-up again". I went about my business with lots of trekking around for the next few days - all the while holding on to that nagging worry about where and when my XJ will be crippled.

The CEL lit-up yesterday but again, no stalling. I returned to my Jeep after a late afternoon trip to the gym but it wouldn't start. I had to leave it in the parking lot (possibly overnighth) after much begging with the security chief. Got a ride to a nearby Jeep stealership (just before closing @ 6pm) and forked-over $125 for an OEM crank sensor. Grabbed the needed flashlight, floor jack and tool assortment from a buddies toolbox and went at it by braille in the dark and freezing cold. Everything was going reasonably well when I dropped the top bolt while installing the new part. Murphy's Law dictated that bolt should fall through the sensor hole and down into the bell-housing!

Can it be extracted easily, and what's the best way to approach it? Should I even try? Where can I get an exact replacement without too much pain? I'm not sure I can take much more of that!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Try a shielded magnet on a length of safety wire.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Default Please Advise - Where are all the Experts?

Originally Posted by waltermitty
Try a shielded magnet on a length of safety wire.
Waltermitty, That's a good suggestion but you may well know that accessing that window-hole atop the bell-housing is difficult all by itself. Directing a magnet suspended from a wire will be an incredibly frustrating exercise. I'm not saying I won't try but there's got to be another more effective way to fetch that dang bolt.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

That is where the "shielded magnet" part comes into play. If you use stainless steel safety wire, ie: non-magnetic, it won't stick to anything either. I'm not saying it will be cake but I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

If you have access to a bore scope or can rent/buy one some where in your vicinity I'd try to see exactly where it is located so you know where to begin the fishing expedition.

Sorry for your troubles...best of luck resolving the issue.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Engine: 4.0

If it is in the bell housing, pull the inspection cover and you can reach up in there and grab it.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mjonesjr
If it is in the bell housing, pull the inspection cover and you can reach up in there and grab it.
Thank You. I did exactly that and there she was. Difficult to fish out but I got it nonetheless. I'm back in the saddle again!