Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Multiple problems, please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Multiple problems, please Help.

Well I bought this jeep from someone else off of CL and every other day something else inside of the jeep is breaking, if I fix one thing, something else breaks. I'm worried my whole jeep is just going to fall apart, and I'll be without a vehicle. I have absolutely no mechanical skills for vehicles.

First problem, the driver side door, the top hinge, connected to the body. Rusted off. So the door hangs when I open it, and it's very hard to close it. How much will this cost to fix?

My second problem is on the heating unit. The Control lever that controls the fan speed. Also broken. It jiggles and doesn't control the fan speed. I was trying to pull it out today, and see what was up but didn't really know what I was doing, while jiggling it the fan kicked on to high. It will turn on and off just fine. How do I fix this problem? The **** seems like it's intact.

Now after I got the heater to kick on to high, my 3rd problem arises. The dash lights are out, as are the lights for my shift stick.

How can I fix all these and what is the cost of it all? For anybody who takes the time to help me, thank you greatly in advance.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I don't mean to be disrespectful but you bought a vehicle at least 11 years old. What did you expect? Jeeps require a lot of attention and a great deal of maintenance. If it is not something you are ready for, perhaps you should sell it and look for something more dependable.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

^agreed. These problems really aren't that serious in hindsight. There are muchhhhh bigger problems that could arise, just be thankful it's not anything worse. Take a picture of your door, I'm not really understanding that. Your lighting could be a fuse, check that ($.25 cent part). And I'm sure you can find a new climate control module (or whatever it's called) for not too expensive. Use google dude. You bought a used car. You're not going to find a used car that's in immaculate condition.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:57 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: Straight 6

Mr. Walker im a noobie to lol.... Its my first jeep and i had a similar problem with the fan speed switch..... Heres what i did

1. Open glove box
2. You should see to little black stoppers pop them out there real easy
3. Let the glove box down and look towards the right side behind the glove box
4. There is a black relay take it out and see if the tabs are corroded
5. If so go to your local parts store andnpick one up for ten bucks

Also i would recomend looking at getting a blower motor resistor.... There usually corroded pretty bad.... Its located passanger side along the floor all the way against the fire wall its a PITA to get to! It 42 dollars at autozone

And if u thing ur switch pannel is bad i can sell you one for 45$..... There 140 new ar autozone....

By the way buy yourself a haynes manual it will help solve most of ur problems

For the lights in dash and on shifter i would check ur fuse box (passenger side wall under cover) and look up the fuse names and where they go

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L I6

when working on elictrical issues (or any issue) get a simple test light. put it to the power and ground of the component your checking and see if the light comes on. then follow it from there(before you disconnect battery ofcourse)

also when using the tech forum put the year of your jeep in since the interiors are different depending on your jeep.

the bulbs or fuses couldve blown while you were rooting around trying to fix the fan issue.

i hard wired my fan to a switch on my consel to fix mine cause i couldnt find the poblem. it only works on high or off though.

start with the simple stuff like fuses then move to bulbs and relays then resistors. its usually something retardedly simple and you can overlook those things being frustrated.

best of luck!