Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Multiple A/C Blend doors?

Old 04-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Multiple A/C Blend doors?

Hi Guys I have a 1997 XJ with the 4.0. and I'm having some A/C problems. The one blend door that I know of has the cable disconnected and I move the lever by hand to switch between heat in the winter and A/C in the summer.

That method has worked fine until recently. Now the A/C doesn't come out of the vents and I can hear what sounds like a blend door slamming open and closed even when the climate control is turned off. Sounds like it's behind the center vents in the dash. Is there a second blend door?

I just ordered a vacuum gauge and I'll be looking for vacuum leaks this weekend since I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Think I figured it out. Shortly before I started having the problem I found this piece on the floor of my Jeep. After some internet searching I discovered there's a defrost door and I think this is the lever that controls it. I've circled where it looks like part of it broke. Hopefully I can access it by pulling just the radio and not the whole dash.
Attached Thumbnails Multiple A/C Blend doors?-img_1715.jpg