Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mud in my altenator

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Mud in my altenator

I was leaving work today and out of nowhere my jeep started missing and stuttering. I lost almost all power (radio, hazards, turn signals, etc.) except for my headlights. I was going up a pretty steep hill and fought the stall the whole, way. Made it to the top and coasted into a gas station where she finally died. It would kick back over so I jumped it off with my jump box. As soon as I disconnected the jump box she's start sputtering and acting weird. I looked at the volt meter and bottomed out. So after almost an hour of trying to figure out the problem in the pouring rain and being told that no one one the island stocks my alt I noticed that the alt was cover in quite a bit of mud. As a last ditch effort, I poured about a liter of water on it and got out about two liters of mud. Now that I've bored you with that long story, my question is, Is there a relocation kit for the alt on an '89 XJ or a way to prevent the alt from becoming clogged?