Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

MPI TBI fuel pump compatibility.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default MPI TBI fuel pump compatibility.

My buddy just bought a couple jeeps from a friend of his. One had a complete, working, powertrain; the other only had a trans and transfer case. The plan was to just do a powertrain swap and hit the road. The problem I'm having is with the fuel system. The donor truck is a 96 with an i6 MPI engine. The one it's going in is a 92 that apparently originally had a TBI system. I know the TBI has a return system and the MPI is returnless. So the plan was just swap the lines (and pump, since the 92 didn't have one when he bought it) but we didn't realize the electrical connectors on the pumps were different.

My question is, what's the difference in the output PSI at the pump on the TBI and MPI fuel pumps? I'm asking because these are the options I'm considering right now: 1, just buy a new pump for a TBI truck so it will just plug in without any splices or anything, and cap off the return inlet. Or 2, cut the connector off the MPI pump and re-wire to work with the TBI electronics. The only issue with that is I don't have decent schematics to work with, so I don't know what wires need to go where to get power to the pump and to make sure the gauge still works. If that's even possible. Option 1 would be the easiest solution; I'm just worried that the TBI pump won't produce enough pressure to support the MPI fuel system. Any help here would be great! I did a search to see if I could find an answer, but couldn't find anything, so if this is one of those questions that appears all the time, I apologize.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

No one has a schematic or anything? No one knows if the pump itself is the same or will work? That kinda surprises me. Oh well...