Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Motor wont run, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Motor wont run, need help

So yesterday my gf drives the jeep and it quit running. I went to check it out and it fired right up. I put it in gear and accelaerate and the motor dies. I try to restart it and it cranks but wont fire up. I wait for 5 or 10 minutes and it fires right up. This was the problem all night untill i got it to my bro in laws shop. I've tried the cps, map, and throttle position sensor. None helped. So we replaced the distributor and coil and that didn't help. The wierd thing is it will fire right up and run like a champ for 5 or 10 minutes then die. Well i tried driving it that way and it died multiple times. Now it wont even run. I tried starter fluid and that made it backfire. Does anyone have any ideas of where to start?

Recent work on the motor includes: fuel pump replace, fuel filter replace, radiator replace, and most recently cps, coil and distributer.

1993 cherokee xj country, 4.0, automatic
Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Starting with starter fluid sounds like a fuel issue. Backfire sounds like timing. Did it backfire thru the intake, or tailpipe?

Any codes? I believe you turn the ignition switch on, off, on, off, on. Leave it on, but do not start the engine. The CEL should start flashing. These flashes are your trouble codes. A 12, for example, would be one flash, a short pause, and two flashes. There should be a slightly longer pause and then the next code will start. The computer will flash a 55 when it has finished. I would start with codes before replacing anything as that gets expensive. Sometimes needlessly.

Here is the list. Scroll to 91-95 models.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dia...de-list-78108/

Check your grounds and vacuum lines to be rule that stuff out. Do you have a multimeter?

Last edited by fb97xj1; 01-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Im getting codes 12 and 11
Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 PM

Year: 96

If you replace the CPS with a non reputable brand, then it might have been bad right out of the box. I've heard of that happening.