Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

motor starts then stops after it starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default motor starts then stops after it starts

ok this is what is going on I will turn the jeep over and it will start and run for a few seconds that quit. I can fluter the gas pedal and keep it running for a little bit than it will stall. I have installed a new crank position sensor and cap rotor plugs and wires. I have checked the camshaft position semsor and the throttle position sensor abd they check out with in spec. I also changed the fuel filter, well over due, if I unhook the neg. batt cable and let the putor reset it is good for a few days then starts all over again. the putor was replaces about three years ago and I am hopeing that that is not the problem. I have done a search here and on other web sites but no one seems to have the right answer and have check the ones that have been brought up. sorry I do not have a scanner
Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

IAC valve?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: straight 6 4.0 L

Originally Posted by rlevs
ok this is what is going on I will turn the jeep over and it will start and run for a few seconds that quit. I can fluter the gas pedal and keep it running for a little bit than it will stall. I have installed a new crank position sensor and cap rotor plugs and wires. I have checked the camshaft position semsor and the throttle position sensor abd they check out with in spec. I also changed the fuel filter, well over due, if I unhook the neg. batt cable and let the putor reset it is good for a few days then starts all over again. the putor was replaces about three years ago and I am hopeing that that is not the problem. I have done a search here and on other web sites but no one seems to have the right answer and have check the ones that have been brought up. sorry I do not have a scanner
It's your pvc hose that hookes into the valve cover the rear one
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

IAC or TPS. A vacuum line shouldn't keep a truck from running. It may run like crap, but it should still run.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors
Default download this search trouble shooting

http://www.filestube.com/537d2723635...ual-84-93.html
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: straight 6 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
IAC or TPS. A vacuum line shouldn't keep a truck from running. It may run like crap, but it should still run.
Yes it will it won't idles right and shut off
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

sounds like a bad conection. check your batery conections. not just at the batery, all of them. clean the terminals, and mating surfaces where the other ends of the batery cables atatch to the ground, and starter.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Big D Squared
Yes it will it won't idles right and shut off
[facepalm]
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM

I cleaned the IAC valve today ok it runs a little longer not much sorry done guessing I have a freind that is bring his scanner over tommorow I will keep you all updated.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 PM

ok hooked it up to my friends scanner last and all electrical componants are working great other that it said it had no gas after it was fired up. went out and got my fuel pressure checker from the shop and when you flip the key it has 39 psi and did all the checks for the regulator all is good, untill you start the engine and the fuel pressure drops of to nothing. does this mean the pump is bad or is all the pressure going out the the regulator as it did on my bronco?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM

ok got a fuel pressure checker and check the fuel pressure and it had great pressure until you fired it up once running the fuel pressure would drop off. ok so I replaced the fuel pump in the jeep. well I fired it up in the garage and it did not stall, and did not teat drive it like I normally would. well went out next morning and started it and pulled it of the garage and it stalled. well at this point I did not know what was wrong so I got on the internent and looked up stalling problems with the cherokees of my year. comes down to it being a bad ballast resistor, I jumped it out and it run's great now
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

ok got a fuel pressure checker and check the fuel pressure and it had great pressure until you fired it up once running the fuel pressure would drop off. ok so I replaced the fuel pump in the jeep. well I fired it up in the garage and it did not stall, and did not teat drive it like I normally would. well went out next morning and started it and pulled it of the garage and it stalled. well at this point I did not know what was wrong so I got on the internent and looked up stalling problems with the cherokees of my year. comes down to it being a bad ballast resistor, I jumped it out and it run's great now

clogged fuel filter? it's a cheap replacement part.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Nice! Glad you figured it out. Can you post links to the information you found?

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
clogged fuel filter? it's a cheap replacement part.
If it were clogged then it shouldn't let enough pressure through to register as normal pressure.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0I6

I am having similar issues - I've never heard of a ballast resistor -What is it?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM

I will try and get some links up later. Tim it all depends on what year cherokee you have. and I am not sure what years that they put them in. the reason they did this to cut down on the voltage to the fuel pump to make it quiter. the ballast resistor , if you have one would be one the drivers side fender next to the vacuum booster for the brakes. it is a lite tan color and has a wire that attaches to both ends. if this goes bad it will not show up on your scanner or I should say it will say that there is no fuel on the snap on scanner. to check it us a volt meter on Ohms and it should have 1.1 Ohms across the two conntects.

Quick Reply: motor starts then stops after it starts