Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

manual trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default manual trans leak

Hello, looking at buying a 96 2.5td here in uk, seems to be lweeping oil from the gasket between trans and transfer so guess that’s the input seal but from memory there seemed to be another leak from a gasket on the gear box. Don’t have the time to fix it myself and pulling the t box looks tricky. Do they usually leak a little, expensive to get the work done? it’s weeping rather than dripping
Old 07-08-2018, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Dunno if it's usual on the TD. It's not a small job to get it out. Might be worth trying some of this stuff, if you can get it over there. I have had fabulous success with a power steering pump on my 94 XJ, and a front main seal on a Ford van. It just STOPPED the leak, and both were very bad. It didn't do much with my XJ AW4 transmission, though. It slowed the leak for a while. I guess it depends on the condition of the seal when it's used.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Mine leaked in the same place and I had the adapter seal on the trans replaced but it was too late to save my transmission mount which was deteriorated from oil over many months. You can get that seal and also get a set of gaskets for the AX15 transmission from Morris4x4 or Napa or maybe rockauto.com. They can ship overseas and customs fees shouldn't be much on inexpensive parts like that.

However, I would not recommend the 2.5td. The 4 separate aluminum heads are prone to cracking. It won't take much overheating to crack one. Parts are extremely expensive from the dealer. The engine is very heavy and makes the Jeep cumbersome off-road. The petrol version performs as well or better and and is much easier and cheaper to repair.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Might be worth trying some of this stuff, if you can get it over there. I have had fabulous success with a power steering pump on my 94 XJ, and a front main seal on a Ford van. It just STOPPED the leak, and both were very bad. It didn't do much with my XJ AW4 transmission, though. It slowed the leak for a while. I guess it depends on the condition of the seal when it's used.
The "this stuff" in BlueRidgeMark's post is AT-205 Re-Seal which did a wonderful
thing for my Jeep. My XJ's steering box was leaking out of the pitman seal and out
of the upper seal where the steering shaft enters. The leaks were so bad that I would
have to add a pint of fluid each week. I had friends bring me an 8 oz bottle of AT-205
Re-Seal and I put an ounce or two in my steering reservoir and topped off the fluid.
After five days with some hard use, the level has not gone down and NO MORE leaks.

So thanks, BlueRidgeMark, for that tip and because it worked for you I hoped it would
work for me.

Last edited by BwanaBob; 08-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.