Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Manual trans 4wd swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Manual trans 4wd swap issues

I hope I am posting this in the right section since the parts I am using are oem.

So, as some of you know, I went from 2wd to 4wd. I have a manual trans and 231 t-case. I am using all factory parts. This is now the 2nd time I have had the same issue after doing the same thing to 2 XJs. The issue, part of the t-case hits the trans tunnel. I had to cut part of the t-case off to make it fit. Thats how bad it hits. I am using the stock 2wd trans cross member and mount. To me, it seems like the trans sits too high and too far to the drivers side. I do not have any trans drop installed either.

I have searched and dont see different part numbers for trans mounts. Can anyone with a manual trans 4wd take a look at theirs and see if it looks the same? From the bolts that hold on the cross member on the drives side to the center of the rear output shaft, I am at 18.5". From the top of the cross member to the top of the trans mount I get 2-5/8".

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Its not a xj tranny. Clocking is different. As for mount the motor mounts being bad can cause motor to be sitting at angle. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10644.html
Old 01-16-2017, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

I did get my trans with no tail housing, then handed over one later, so that could be possible. But, what tail housing do I have? Do the Wranglers clock the case different? And I have seen the re-clocking kit. Looking at some of my pictures, that might just work going the opposite way. Looks like there is plenty of meat below the current bolt holes, but not much above them.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Manuals and automatics use different mounts and crossmembers, but it's the same for 2WD and 4WD.

Looks to me like you've got some parts from a TJ. TJ cases wind up being more clocked more horizontally than XJs. I've never seen a TJ one in person but I remember reading about this. Check out a Google Image Search for both and be the judge.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
Manuals and automatics use different mounts and crossmembers, but it's the same for 2WD and 4WD.

Looks to me like you've got some parts from a TJ. TJ cases wind up being more clocked more horizontally than XJs. I've never seen a TJ one in person but I remember reading about this. Check out a Google Image Search for both and be the judge.
Yep I think you are 100% correct. 2 XJs in a row this happens... See what I get for putting a different trans in. No big deal. As freedgr said, I can get the clocking kit and un-clock it. Just means the t-case has to come back out.

Mine

Notice there is no room to clock it up but there is going down.