Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Manual Jeep pcm

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default Manual Jeep pcm

I have a 1996 4door manual jeep cherokee classic the engine keeps turning over and there is no spark and the fuel pump isnt running, i just replaced the fuel pump, dist cap, plugs, wires, fuses relays, and coil. is still no luck. i read that when you turn the key the check engine light is supposed to come on and mine does not, i checked the bulb and it was fine. When i turn the key all it does is turn over, over and over and over haha , any ideas? I thought maybe sense it is equipped with an alarm the alarm could be faulty and blocking the ignition from working? the guy I bought the jeep from said it wasnt working right so he disconnected it from the siren. but besides that could it possibly be the PCM? Whats the failure rate on those. Because it's only a 96 haha. any advice or ideas? help me out im about to bring it to a shop to diagnose it for mee.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked the crank position sensor?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

MMMMMM...CPS shouldn't keep you from hearing the pump a few seconds when you turn on the ign. All new relays, Eh? I'm pretty sure the PCM grounds the ASD relay when you turn it on and crank it, then continues grounding it when it's getting a signal from the CPS that the engine is running. (it powers things like the pump and spark when it's grounded). Was me I guess I'd find that relay and see if it has power and what's up there. I might also find the pump relay and see that indeed it is not getting power. Idk. It's not like mine. (Renix has no Auto Shutdown Relay) Guess they figured they shutdown enough without it!

I guess the key deal only works part way through 97, you might give it a try. (or find a reader)
See if the light works at all....

1984-1990 w/AMC engine are pre-OBD.

1984-1986 w/GM V6-173 are OBD-I (GM control setup.)

1991-1995 are OBD-I (Chrysler)

1996-2001 are OBD-II (Chrysler)

The "Key Tricks"
Older (OBDI) models - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

Newer (OBDII) models - Put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number. It will then show the error codes (it might show them starting with P). If this method does not work, try the OBDI method.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-16-2012 at 09:20 PM.